What type of algae is this?

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the hairlike stuff growing on the rocks/sand? It's also on the glass, and I can see a bit on the stalk of my candy cane coral.

Tank is a month old. Algae popped up a couple weeks ago. There's green film algae and diatoms that I could see.

Water Parameters
Mg 1620
Ca 520
kH 9.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates 0
phosphates 0
pH 8
temp 77-78F
salinity 1.026

snails appear to be eating it somewhat?

IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its diatoms supported by light and organics. Reduce white light intensity, and add the following snails:
Astrea
nassarius
cerith
nerite
turbo grazer

also 6-8 blue leg hermits

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its diatoms supported by light and organics. Reduce white light intensity, and add the following snails:
Astrea
nassarius
cerith
nerite
turbo grazer

also 6-8 blue leg hermits

Huh I did not know diatoms could for strands and come off the substrate like that.

Unfortunately the stock biocube 32 lights don't have any intensity options, but I could reduce the duration. Is just letting it burn out an option? As I understand it, once all the silicates have been used up it will recede and other algae will take over. If that's the case, would maintaining my current light schedule mean it burns out faster?

How are your experiences with the blue leg hermits? I had an electric blue hermit but it was such a little bulldozer that I had to return it because it kept pulling my acan and favia rocks around the tank. I currently just have a scarlet hermit and a left-handed orange claw hermit.

I will be getting more snails for sure. I only added a few snails initially because I didn't have very much for them to eat but now that the blooms are finally coming in I think it's time to get some more.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back