What type of algae is this?

sammolson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Need help identifying what type of algae is this. It looks like purple/reddish on the rock but spreading onto the sand too. What should I do? Let me know. Thanks -Sam

Attachments

• IMG_0006.MOV
    5 MB
OP
OP
S

sammolson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano with a side of aiptasia to me.
Thanks! Had no idea the anemones are called aiptasia and I have about 6 of them. Great I got another pest. What is the best effective to eliminate cyano and aiptasia?

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read you can use Kalk paste for the aiptasia. As for the cyano I'd try siphoning what you can and turn up the flow if possible. Are you dosing anything?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make yourself this tool. It is a 1/4" stainless steel straw inside a 1/2" hose with rubber band for a seal. I use this and is great at sucking out algae, mushrooms and I haven't tried yet but I bet will work great on aiptasia too. Good thing is when you suck out the aip you don't risk them releasing spores into the water column.

Attachments

• 20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
S

sammolson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make yourself this tool. It is a 1/4" stainless steel straw inside a 1/2" hose with rubber band for a seal. I use this and is great at sucking out algae, mushrooms and I haven't tried yet but I bet will work great on aiptasia too. Good thing is when you suck out the aip you don't risk them releasing spores into the water column.
Interesting! I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
S

sammolson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read you can use Kalk paste for the aiptasia. As for the cyano I'd try siphoning what you can and turn up the flow if possible. Are you dosing anything?
Gotcha. I watched a video where they can laser at the aiptasia killing them instantly. Crazy. I’ll siphon this week. I dose alk weekly and sometimes calcium depending when I do tests.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all the methods of controlling aiptasia including laser, all those methods do is kill the one and many more take it's place. I had to remove all my rocks because I just couldn't keep up with them popping up, I even had 12 peppermint shrimps, a filefish. Now 10 months later a see one or two pop up and the next day is gone, I guess the Filefish or the 2 shrimp that have survived my Flame Hawk take care of them when they are small.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your money on the laser or chemicals, laser is fun but a lot of work. Try the straw method first, has so many uses.

OP
OP
S

sammolson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all the methods of controlling aiptasia including laser, all those methods do is kill the one and many more take it's place. I had to remove all my rocks because I just couldn't keep up with them popping up, I even had 12 peppermint shrimps, a filefish. Now 10 months later a see one or two pop up and the next day is gone, I guess the Filefish or the 2 shrimp that have survived my Flame Hawk take care of them when they are small.
I have a nano tank. A 14 gal. Maybe a small filefish to take care of it? Can a filefish eat a large aiptasia? I have 3 big ones.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get gulf live rock to ight the aptasia, try peppermint shrimp if you dont have any fish or try aip filefish if you dont have corals because they could consume corals if you feed them other cinidrans like aptasia

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank. A 14 gal. Maybe a small filefish to take care of it? Can a filefish eat a large aiptasia? I have 3 big ones.
I don't know, but if you can suck it out the better. I believe even if Filefish does eat the aiptasia I don't think it can get all the flesh down into the rock pores, and it will just come back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back