what type of algae is this?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this algae growing on a frag next to the zoas and I am not sure what it is. Its very hard to pull off the plug and I'm not sure if its bad or not.

Its almost like hair algae but thicker strands and instead of green is a purple/red color. It has leaf like ends that branch out.

Is this bad? Should I remove?

1631386877332.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a good or bad thing? I tried searching for frauchia, but the only thing that came up was this thread.
I mean Fauchia, and I’d say it’s good since all algae will help with nutrients, I’ve never come across it in captivity though. The only time I’d say it would be bad is if you have it taking over everything

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean Fauchia, and I’d say it’s good since all algae will help with nutrients, I’ve never come across it in captivity though. The only time I’d say it would be bad is if you have it taking over everything
Huh. Fauchea features solid blades while OP’s algae appears feathered. I actually believe OP has Bryopsis (one of the most dreaded of all macroalgae) which just seems “purplish” under blue lighting.
I have this algae growing on a frag next to the zoas and I am not sure what it is. Its very hard to pull off the plug and I'm not sure if its bad or not.

Its almost like hair algae but thicker strands and instead of green is a purple/red color. It has leaf like ends that branch out.

Is this bad? Should I remove?
Could you take an image under white light and post it here?

OP
OP

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. Fauchea features solid blades while OP’s algae appears feathered. I actually believe OP has Bryopsis (one of the most dreaded of all macroalgae) which just seems “purplish” under blue lighting.

Could you take an image under white light and post it here?
I think you are correct. I took it out of the tank and sure enough under white lights it was green.

The ends were definitely feathered. luckily from what I can tell, it was only on that frag so I was able to scrap it off for the time being. I'm going to try a peroxide scrub on the frag tomorrow and then possibly remove those zoas and place them on a new plug.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are correct. I took it out of the tank and sure enough under white lights it was green.

The ends were definitely feathered. luckily from what I can tell, it was only on that frag so I was able to scrap it off for the time being. I'm going to try a peroxide scrub on the frag tomorrow and then possibly remove those zoas and place them on a new plug.
Glad I could help!
By the way, do you have any plans on adding true Fauchea to your system? The blue iridescence looks absolutely gorgeous: https://ecoreserves.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fauchealancineata.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303070819654
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274654164973

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back