What type of anemone is this?

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I got this anemone from the LFS, it was listed and sold to me as a green bubble tip. I've had it for about 2 months now, and it seems to look nothing like a bubble tip. I know bubble tips can vary in how bubbled the tentacles are and all that, but it just never looked like one. I know the mouth is a little open right now and that's a bad sign, however the mouth is usually closed, it changes all throughout the day. The most bubbled I've seen the tentacles are night time on a day after I feed it and they look more like pea sized orbs and not the typical shape you would see when googling "bubble tip anemone". When under the blue light at night, the tentacles look dark green. If more pictures are needed to positively ID, let me know.

EDIT: added a photo under blue light with orange glasses in front of lense.

20210316_101029.jpg 20210316_103820.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This may be a giant green anemone although bubble tips appear like this when there is too much light

giant green:

7D64A89A-EE5F-411A-A96E-FA0955197658.jpeg

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth makes me think an unhappy bubble tip.

The mouth changes throughout the day. It's currently almost completely shut, and will likely look like puckered lips in another 30 minutes. What can I do to make it happier if it really isn't happy? It moved to it's current location and has stayed there for the past two months, and I hear they will move when they are unhappy with flow or lighting so, I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters, lighting, flow and tanks age?

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters, lighting, flow and tanks age?
It's a nano tank, Fluval flex 32.5 saltwater with a second light, the light stats are:

Wattage42 W
Lumens1800 lm
Color Temp.25 000 K
LEDs252

I have them set to ramp up purple, blue, and cyan from 0% to 100%, pink and white from 0% to 20% over 4 hours, 5 hours at 100%/20% and then ramp down over 3 hours.

Flow I have a hydor nano powerhead at one end doing like 240 gph and a Jebao SCP-70M (it's like a cheap chinese gyre ripoff) that says it's up to 1850 gph running on random. The return pump if you count that is a Sicce silent 1.5 says it's rated for 357 gph.

I removed the sponge filters and installed the intank media baskets, just running filter floss and carbon in them right now. I also have an icecap k1 protein skimmer in the back compartment.

Tank is 9 months old, yes I realize this is too young for an anemone, but here we are, and I need to make sure it'll be ok.

Temp: 77.6 F (this ranges up to like 78.5 when the lights are on mid day)
Salinity: 1.026 SG
Alk: 7kh
ph: 8.2
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Calc: 430
Mag: 1640
Phos: 0.2

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 months is pretty good for an anemone. I added mine at 1 month. Your parameters seem fine to me unless they're fluctuating. Do you use RODI water? Right now I'm suspecting a lighting issue, stock lights for AIO tanks usually are weaker.

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 months is pretty good for an anemone. I added mine at 1 month. Your parameters seem fine to me unless they're fluctuating. Do you use RODI water? Right now I'm suspecting a lighting issue, stock lights for AIO tanks usually are weaker.
Yes, I use RODI water for topping off, and RODI with Coral Pro salt from Red Sea for water changes. RODI is testing 0 TDS, as I have a TDS meter to check it.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the lights.
It's a nano tank, Fluval flex 32.5 saltwater with a second light, the light stats are:

Wattage42 W
Lumens1800 lm
Color Temp.25 000 K
LEDs252

I have them set to ramp up purple, blue, and cyan from 0% to 100%, pink and white from 0% to 20% over 4 hours, 5 hours at 100%/20% and then ramp down over 3 hours.

Flow I have a hydor nano powerhead at one end doing like 240 gph and a Jebao SCP-70M (it's like a cheap chinese gyre ripoff) that says it's up to 1850 gph running on random. The return pump if you count that is a Sicce silent 1.5 says it's rated for 357 gph.

I removed the sponge filters and installed the intank media baskets, just running filter floss and carbon in them right now. I also have an icecap k1 protein skimmer in the back compartment.

Tank is 9 months old, yes I realize this is too young for an anemone, but here we are, and I need to make sure it'll be ok.

Temp: 77.6 F (this ranges up to like 78.5 when the lights are on mid day)
Salinity: 1.026 SG
Alk: 7kh
ph: 8.2
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Calc: 430
Mag: 1640
Phos: 0.2

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1800 lumens sounds pretty weak. In my opinion.

The anemone has moved lower and to a corner of the tank since this was taken. Others suggest the light is fine as others that have the light have had success. I also have 2x of these lights. It would seem as tho it's a water quality issue.

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed it ever? I give mine mysis shrimp every few days.
Yeah, I spot feed it with reef roids which it seems to take, I tried small slices of raw table shrimp and raw sea scallop and it took neither of those, well it took the shrimp and threw it back up like 12 hours later. I have some other frozen fish food I can try. I'm afraid it's on it's way out tho, not sure what else I can do about it, it's clearly unhappy as it has moved to a front corner of the tank. I've bene doing 20% water changes every other day for the past 4 days to try and get water quality better as I am also struggling with either dinos or cyano.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back