What type of bristleworm is this? Good or Bad??!

NoobReeferMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snail shell with a bunch of mushroom corals on it being used as a frag which I got for a freebie at my lfs as I wanted the coral BADLY!! But, the shell after being coral dipped already still has this type of bristleworm Inside it still... Could I get help identifying it and if it's a big deal to put it in my tank or should I try to remove the shrooms and re frag them on rocks?

VID_20201128_225828_exported_47914_1606623242005~2.jpg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bristle there is fine, sometimes the shrooms will be a bit disturbed by the worm.., but nothing major at all. if you aren't happy with having it there, will the shell with sand and push with fingers to go in much as possible.
Later if you wish genty you can use liquid super glue (not gel) to seal it with the sand in. that way it will die, it's small and isn't going to produce a lot of ammonia, which will be shortly gone by the bacterias, and that's it.
Or you can use jodine dip (for example) undiluted to put small amount in the shell (will be totally harmless for the mushrooms if they touch it), but don't put jodine straight over them, wigle a bit the shell to cna the jodine to go to the inner side in the shell, and put the shell in saltwater very slowly. That way the bristle worm will come out for sure and it will be like stunned. Wait it to come over 2/4 of it length and if you can gently pull it out if you see the other end which probably will be still in the shell.

And by the way, WELCOME TO R2R, wish you luck and enjoy the reefing ;)

OP
OP
NoobReeferMom

NoobReeferMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bristle there is fine, sometimes the shrooms will be a bit disturbed by the worm.., but nothing major at all. if you aren't happy with having it there, will the shell with sand and push with fingers to go in much as possible.
Later if you wish genty you can use liquid super glue (not gel) to seal it with the sand in. that way it will die, it's small and isn't going to produce a lot of ammonia, which will be shortly gone by the bacterias, and that's it.
Or you can use jodine dip (for example) undiluted to put small amount in the shell (will be totally harmless for the mushrooms if they touch it), but don't put jodine straight over them, wigle a bit the shell to cna the jodine to go to the inner side in the shell, and put the shell in saltwater very slowly. That way the bristle worm will come out for sure and it will be like stunned. Wait it to come over 2/4 of it length and if you can gently pull it out if you see the other end which probably will be still in the shell.

And by the way, WELCOME TO R2R, wish you luck and enjoy the reefing ;)
Thanks so much for letting me know. Ya it's a large fat one kinda gross looking and scary lol

OP
OP
NoobReeferMom

NoobReeferMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a bristleworm that fat though it's like a silky pinkish, greenish, silver color too and wide I would hate to be wrong...

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, wor, but also, can you look on google images for Fire Worm, because I'm not 100% is it just bristle or it's fire worm from the photos.

OP
OP
NoobReeferMom

NoobReeferMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I ended up looking up photos of a fireworm they look more reddish colored and say they're more "photogenic" it's difficult to get a good photo... And hard to tell and be 100% positive about knowing what it is...

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I ended up looking up photos of a fireworm they look more reddish colored and say they're more "photogenic" it's difficult to get a good photo... And hard to tell and be 100% positive about knowing what it is...
Looks like a fireworm to me. They come in different colors, the thing that gives them away to me are the super white tufts of bristles that come off them and they’re generally more thick and flat then regular bristle worms. I don’t trust any of them personally. I’d get a pair of tweezers and pull that dude out or seal up the shell with glue and let him die in there. Once those things get going you’ll have a zillion if you aren’t careful.

Shows a pretty good video of a huge bristle worm and you can see the bristles are still kinda smal and off white in color. That change in coloration from the centerline of the worm to the edges screams fireworm to me too. Normally bristle worms are the same color across their body even though they may fade from a pink to a brownish color along their length.

OP
OP
NoobReeferMom

NoobReeferMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a fireworm to me. They come in different colors, the thing that gives them away to me are the super white tufts of bristles that come off them and they’re generally more thick and flat then regular bristle worms. I don’t trust any of them personally. I’d get a pair of tweezers and pull that dude out or seal up the shell with glue and let him die in there. Once those things get going you’ll have a zillion if you aren’t careful.

Shows a pretty good video of a huge bristle worm and you can see the bristles are still kinda smal and off white in color. That change in coloration from the centerline of the worm to the edges screams fireworm to me too. Normally bristle worms are the same color across their body even though they may fade from a pink to a brownish color along their length.
I agree with this completely I have had the shell in the front part of the tank facing the glass towards me and its still inside the shell thank god I've put it there so I'm able to keep a keen eye on it. I would agree with being able to remove it or to cover it with super glue. its been pretty harmless and hasn't come out of the shell at all. Thank God... What I would reallllly love to do is to be able to remove carefully the 2 discus mushrooms from the shell and to remove the shell completely out of my tank But, I'm not 100% sure how to even go about doing this because I don't want to disturb the corals or kill them at all in the process of doing that... and they're VERY hard to have them grow back onto something new as its a soft coral of course...

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this completely I have had the shell in the front part of the tank facing the glass towards me and its still inside the shell thank god I've put it there so I'm able to keep a keen eye on it. I would agree with being able to remove it or to cover it with super glue. its been pretty harmless and hasn't come out of the shell at all. Thank God... What I would reallllly love to do is to be able to remove carefully the 2 discus mushrooms from the shell and to remove the shell completely out of my tank But, I'm not 100% sure how to even go about doing this because I don't want to disturb the corals or kill them at all in the process of doing that... and they're VERY hard to have them grow back onto something new as its a soft coral of course...
I would glue that sucker inside the shell. If you aren’t sure if it’s in there maybe make a bristle worm trap using a bottle. They do a pretty good job. Basically just a minnow trap for worms. You cut the top of the bottle off and invert it. Glue the contraption together and bait with something stinky. They’ll go right in.

fireworms are bad news. Only a matter of time before it goes after coral or becomes a sea monster and goes after small fish.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back