What type of coral is this?

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy came with the tank but I have no idea what it is any ideas?
(Fairly new to the hobby so I don’t know too much about corals yet)

11910B63-EC23-4338-BAB5-133013766124.jpeg 357BA255-E369-4EA6-BA83-1F4C9B5B89F8.jpeg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepto as well. BTW, noticed green bubble algae to the bottom left of coral. Would remove asap and hope you can take rock out to do it.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the green bubble algae bad?
Its not bad per say, but it can and will get out of hand if you let it. If you plan on removing it so it doesn't grow in unwanted places, do not pop them. If you pop the bubbles, hundreds of its spores will spread around the tank and grow. Be very gentle when taking them off. Use a scraper of some sort and stick it underneath the bubble algae, that worked for me. Alternatively, purchase an emerald crab, they eat those.

And to answer your post, it looks like a lepto.

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not bad per say, but it can and will get out of hand if you let it. If you plan on removing it so it doesn't grow in unwanted places, do not pop them. If you pop the bubbles, hundreds of its spores will spread around the tank and grow. Be very gentle when taking them off. Use a scraper of some sort and stick it underneath the bubble algae, that worked for me. Alternatively, purchase an emerald crab, they eat those.

Thanks! Haha the person I bought the tank from just told me to “smush green bubbles when I see them”. Good to know what they actually are

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s actually been proven false. If you pop them nothing happens.

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do any of you know what these are? The person i got it from doesn’t know what the one on the right is. They said the other one is a hammer, is it? And when getting new corals for my tank, do you have any recommendations for me to make sure I don’t bring pests into the tank? I’m only 16 and haven’t been doing this very long so idk

8958D1CF-8372-4F0F-A4EE-C9F8F85995B8.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral is a leptastrea. I have one and love it. It's an encrusting coral and once it gets going it can grow quite decently fast.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the second pic looks like chalice maybe. To avoid pest set up little 10 gallon quarantine tank and dip all new corals with coral RX or something similar.

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the second pic looks like chalice maybe. To avoid pest set up little 10 gallon quarantine tank and dip all new corals with coral RX or something similar.
Do I dip it before putting it in the 10 gallon? How long should it be in the 10 gallon?

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I dip it before putting it in the 10 gallon? How long should it be in the 10 gallon?
Depends on how you get the coral if it's shipped overnight in a 24-hour bag from an online vendor then they're too stressed out to dip right away most of the time I would put it in the 10 gallon tank at this moment give it a few hours to 4 or 5 hours let it get used to where it's at then I would dip it and put it back in the tank I would then leave it there for a couple of weeks under observation watching it to make sure that you don't see any creepy-crawlies crawling around it on it or off of it make sure there's no apt Asia anemone growing off of it as they are super small at first. you can also do multiple dips in between days or within a couple days if it's a caral you bought at your local fish store I'd bring it home dip it right away then put it in the 10 gallon for observation. Usually do observation foe a few weeks

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you get the coral if it's shipped overnight in a 24-hour bag from an online vendor then they're too stressed out to dip right away most of the time I would put it in the 10 gallon tank at this moment give it a few hours to 4 or 5 hours let it get used to where it's at then I would dip it and put it back in the tank I would then leave it there for a couple of weeks under observation watching it to make sure that you don't see any creepy-crawlies crawling around it on it or off of it make sure there's no apt Asia anemone growing off of it as they are super small at first. you can also do multiple dips in between days or within a couple days if it's a caral you bought at your local fish store I'd bring it home dip it right away then put it in the 10 gallon for observation. Usually do observation foe a few weeks
Yikes! Ok I’d be ordering online. Thanks for the tips!!!

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry It may seem complicated reading it online here but it's not all that difficult if you need any assistance or advice or help you can private message me and I will help you as much as I can.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not necessary to quarantine corals in almost any circumstance unless you visibly see pests, it stresses the coral out far too much to be beneficial. Most of the time a good dip in something like Coral RX is enough. I wouldn't be worried about bringing pests in if the proper precautions were taken, IE don't buy from a store with visible pests.
As for the corals, the first is a Leptastrea, the second one (maroon with green eyes) is a favia and the third is a hammer (the one with big tentacles).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back