What type of coral is this?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most the critters on coral are to small for me to usually see with the naked eye also there are coral that close up when u try to dip them like zoanthids example that actually help to protect some pests from the dip. I only have two fish stores both 150 miles in both directions not everyone has 15 stores they can visit looking for 1 without a single aptasia anemone or pest visible at all times i would always recommend quarantining anything going in ur tank just save ur self the head ach....

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not necessary to quarantine corals in almost any circumstance unless you visibly see pests, it stresses the coral out far too much to be beneficial. Most of the time a good dip in something like Coral RX is enough. I wouldn't be worried about bringing pests in if the proper precautions were taken, IE don't buy from a store with visible pests.
As for the corals, the first is a Leptastrea, the second one (maroon with green eyes) is a favia and the third is a hammer (the one with big tentacles).
Is this dip ok or do I need to go buy coral RX? This one came with the tank, nearly full.

image.jpg image.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this dip ok or do I need to go buy coral RX? This one came with the tank, nearly full.

image.jpg image.jpg
essentially the same thing, I don't really think it matters much as long as you follow the directions to a tee. That's the dip that I use myself, actually.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to remove that rock for the bubble algae just wait for your next water change. When you are siphoning water out, gently pry up on the bubble algae while siphoning directly over it. This way it gets sucked out but if you do accidentally pop it any contents released will also be siphoned out.

I'm horrible with LPS ID but possibly a favia? Not sure as it's hard to reference size.

I have to say well done for not having much experience. Everything looks very healthy so far.

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to remove that rock for the bubble algae just wait for your next water change. When you are siphoning water out, gently pry up on the bubble algae while siphoning directly over it. This way it gets sucked out but if you do accidentally pop it any contents released will also be siphoned out.

I'm horrible with LPS ID but possibly a favia? Not sure as it's hard to reference size.

I have to say well done for not having much experience. Everything looks very healthy so far.
Thanks! Also, along with the bubble algae, I have some red looking algae and some grass looking algae. Do you happen to know what these are and how I get rid of them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 16

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Also, along with the bubble algae, I have some red looking algae and some grass looking algae. Do you happen to know what these are and how I get rid of them?
You've got cyanobacteria (red) and green hair algae (GHA).

Both are basically from lack of proper maintenance or excessive feeding/nutrients and possibly using water that isn't 0 tds.
Where do you get your water for top-off and to mix your salt? Do you have an RODI?
What is your maintenance schedule so far?

Cyanobacteria likes to show up in lower flow areas. Looking at how it is able to "mat" I can tell the flow is very low flow right there. Start by siphoning it out and increasing flow in that area. Get a plastic turkey baster and make basting your rocks weekly before your water change part of your routine. This will help blow off cyanobacteria and also keep your gha patches from holding detritus and fueling itself even more.

For now start with manual removal and ensuring your water is 0 tds. Usually you'll want to be doing weekly 10-15% water changes and during those changes vacuuming your sand bed. That's usually the biggest trap for detritus which causes your algae and nutrient issues.

There are bottled fixes for both cyanobacteria and gha but if you dont find the source of your problem it's just a bandaid.

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got cyanobacteria (red) and green hair algae (GHA).

Both are basically from lack of proper maintenance or excessive feeding/nutrients and possibly using water that isn't 0 tds.
Where do you get your water for top-off and to mix your salt? Do you have an RODI?
What is your maintenance schedule so far?

Cyanobacteria likes to show up in lower flow areas. Looking at how it is able to "mat" I can tell the flow is very low flow right there. Start by siphoning it out and increasing flow in that area. Get a plastic turkey baster and make basting your rocks weekly before your water change part of your routine. This will help blow off cyanobacteria and also keep your gha patches from holding detritus and fueling itself even more.

For now start with manual removal and ensuring your water is 0 tds. Usually you'll want to be doing weekly 10-15% water changes and during those changes vacuuming your sand bed. That's usually the biggest trap for detritus which causes your algae and nutrient issues.

There are bottled fixes for both cyanobacteria and gha but if you dont find the source of your problem it's just a bandaid.
Ok, thanks! And right now I’m using RO water for topping off, but our tap water (from a well) for mixing with salt.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back