What type of coral is this?

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this coral at my lps. I’m new to corals and it didn’t have any price tag to help me identify it. What do you think?
83B1F3BC-973F-4BEE-AE02-8178649AC044.jpeg

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree leathers are really hardy and a great choice for a first timer.
But, be aware, when I got mine, no one told be that it often shrinks up until it looks like a piece of broccoli when the lights transition to night. I went through water changes every evening until I learned that detail about them. When I was finally brave enough to wait it out, it rebounded right back the next morning.
...I hope this helps and good luck!

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be aware that Kenya Trees have a tendency to drop little branches all over the place. It seems nice at first, until you decide that you'd rather have something else in that spot. By which I mean, be prepared to prune it back regularly unless you want your tank to be Kenya tree corals and nothing else. :)

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be aware that Kenya Trees have a tendency to drop little branches all over the place. It seems nice at first, until you decide that you'd rather have something else in that spot. By which I mean, be prepared to prune it back regularly unless you want your tank to be Kenya tree corals and nothing else. :)
Yes, I’ve read they self-propagate like no other coral. Mines still smaller than the palm of my hand, so I’m sure it’ll be the next step in my learning curve. Thanks for the feedback; every bit helps!

OP
OP
Hoshiaki

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree leathers are really hardy and a great choice for a first timer.
But, be aware, when I got mine, no one told be that it often shrinks up until it looks like a piece of broccoli when the lights transition to night. I went through water changes every evening until I learned that detail about them. When I was finally brave enough to wait it out, it rebounded right back the next morning.
...I hope this helps and good luck!
thanks for the details! i’ll be sure to keep that in mind if i start to worry

OP
OP
Hoshiaki

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for telling me!

Back