What type of macro is this?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a hunk of macro from my lfs and the employee told me it would grow like crazy. Anybody know what type this is called?
image.jpg
image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an invasive weed, caulerpa. Unless you want a tank full of it I would put it in the sump or in the trash. I've seen it overrun a tank before, usually with tears of racmosa. :)

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an invasive weed, caulerpa. Unless you want a tank full of it I would put it in the sump or in the trash. I've seen it overrun a tank before, usually with tears of racmosa. :)
Ah ok, so I have a kenya tree and gsp in the tank as well. I have it sectioned off in a corner of the tank with a pencil urchin that really only stay in that section. My other section is kenya and gsp

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being sectioned off like that, you may be able to contain it and trim any runner before they reach the other rocks. You will just need to be sure when you trim, (I would do this regularly to keep it from going sexual aka spawning) to make sure you get all of the pieces trimmed out of the tank and not let them settle anywhere else. Even the tiniest bit will grow into a new colony of macro.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being sectioned off like that, you may be able to contain it and trim any runner before they reach the other rocks. You will just need to be sure when you trim, (I would do this regularly to keep it from going sexual aka spawning) to make sure you get all of the pieces trimmed out of the tank and not let them settle anywhere else. Even the tiniest bit will grow into a new colony of macro.
Gotcha

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a smaller tank a 13 gallon which i kinda want the algae to take over? Is that advisable to do i think it would look cool seeing a tank taken over by green stuff.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a smaller tank a 13 gallon which i kinda want the algae to take over? Is that advisable to do i think it would look cool seeing a tank taken over by green stuff.
It can really gum up machinery when it spawns, but there's no reason you couldn't let it overrun if you like it

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can really gum up machinery when it spawns, but there's no reason you couldn't let it overrun if you like it
I agree with this.

One thing to think of for a macro only tank is food for the macro. You will need fish or you will need to dose nutrients for it.

I have had many macro only tanks with no fish or anything and just dose Austins ammonia to feed the macro. I am not talking enough ammonia to hurt livestock if you had any, but enough to provide a simple food source for the macro.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this.

One thing to think of for a macro only tank is food for the macro. You will need fish or you will need to dose nutrients for it.

I have had many macro only tanks with no fish or anything and just dose Austins ammonia to feed the macro. I am not talking enough ammonia to hurt livestock if you had any, but enough to provide a simple food source for the macro.
Gotcha, i have fish and i plan on getting a goby/shrimp pair

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, i have fish and i plan on getting a goby/shrimp pair
Be careful with the goby and the pencil urchin. Should be fine, but make sure he establishes a hole to live in. Pencil urchins have been known to snack on sleeping small benthic fish

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, so I have a kenya tree and gsp in the tank as well. I have it sectioned off in a corner of the tank with a pencil urchin that really only stay in that section. My other section is kenya and gsp

Just trim it regularly and keep it off other rocks and it’s manageable. I would keep it if you like it. Just prune regularly.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trim it regularly and keep it off other rocks and it’s manageable. I would keep it if you like it. Just prune regularly.
So lots of other folks have posted regarding the nature of this macro. It is fine to keep but it grows very fast and is a real challenge to keep it from growing over everything. I have purchased live rock from a fish store that had this weed "appear"! growing out of it after a couple of years in my tank where there was nothing but rock on it. It is amazing how persistent this plant can be.

The MOST important warning, don't let any of this go free. No dumping trimmed strands in the toilet, no putting the rocks in the ocean when/if you leave the hobby. This plant is a known invasive of marine ecosystems so enjoy it in your tank as it grows quickly and looks cool, imo. Dry the rocks out in the garden, or fire pit, it is that tough of a macro!

Super Hero Disney GIF by Marvel Studios
super hero marvel GIF by Box Office

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a nano (looks like it), you can get a tweezers, take the rock out and remove the roots should it spread. I keep a bunch of caulerpa for export in a fuge and what not. Kept some in nano's before.

Most everything kind of easy to control in a nano as long as you don't make crazy scape or glue it together.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has started to look like it “flaking” like theres white fuzz on it? Does it normally look like that?

RosehipScapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a large part of it is going sexual, you should pull those bits out. If it is all of it then that's that, I don't think it can be saved once it goes sexual. To me it also looks very starved of nitrate and phosphate, if any of it survives and you dosed those it would look much better, greener plumper and just generally healthier, I imagine even in the shop it didn't get much nutrients.

I keep a planted marine tank with lots of macroalgae (including Caulerpa racemosa) and I don't find it too bothersome to trim, though I am used to trimming plants weekly in freshwater. If you trim it regularly it looks lovely and luscious, and it hasn't been difficult to rip out whenever I don't want it. Like freshwater plants, the macroalgae needs nutrients to thrive (it can cause dinos if you don't dose extra nutrients), which is fine if you keep soft corals, but can become difficult with lps and often incompatable with sps. I only keep softies with my macroalgae and they grow well in the same conditions. I do have small portions of macro go sexual on me, but only very few weeks and it's easy to pull out with no problems.

Also I think urchins each macroalgae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back