What type of mat under Red Sea Reefer 525XL

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, placing a 525XL Reefer bare bottom glass tank on a home made stand. I have seen Red Sea lines their tank stands with a very dense foam pad under the sump, is this also recommended for the display tank? I did not get original cabinet. Will a 4mm yoga mat work? Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use a yoga mat.

You want 1/4" closed cell neoprene foam.

Heres a link to what i used. I just trimmed it to size.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some yoga mats are just fine (closed cell good, open cell bad, if I remember), and in fact thats what my tank manufacturer (SCA) recommended. But, I'd say ask the manufacturer for confirmation since they may require something specific to preserve the warranty

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some yoga mats are just fine (closed cell good, open cell bad, if I remember), and in fact thats what my tank manufacturer (SCA) recommended. But, I'd say ask the manufacturer for confirmation since they may require something specific to preserve the warranty
Agreed about following the manufacturers advice.
CDA recommended specifically 1/4" neoprene.
Im sure some yoga mats are made using this material you should just ensure thickness.

OP
OP
M

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies, I ended up ordering the Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget Leveling mat. I had to search for the 72x24” sized mat, as most places were out, and feared it would arrive all sorts of beat up. But, I am happy to report that 1. the color was a nice dark black, and 2. The adhesive protective sheet pulled right off and it was easy to adhere the mat to the tank bottom. So far so good! I even had left overs to place under my trigger sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back