What type of posts annoy you on this site?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the door swings both ways and most of the time it is the other way around! The OP asks for help, people give the help. The OP skirts around trying to find an easier way. The respondents keep posting the same thing until many give up.

Here is a perfect example that was one of last nights emergency posts.
I gave him all the info he needed in the first reply, but it took many other posters to get him moving.
Need Help !!
I have found many people are not just asking for help, they want help that is easy to do! They are not interested in the first post that is not saying what they want to hear, they are waiting for someone to come along and tell them an easier way to fix the problem. The Classic example is Algae problems. You can tell most people the best method of getting rid of it, but that takes a lot of work and time. The only help that most people are interested in is one that comes in a bottle and can be poured in.
That post is from a high school kid needing some help. It just took more time, but you all helped him.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might not be practical because there are probably hundreds of different StarFish or Kinds of Coral X. You would have to scan through all those posts to find a picture that matches.
I am talking about the asterinas that are asked about a few times a day.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might not be practical because there are probably hundreds of different StarFish or Kinds of Coral X. You would have to scan through all those posts to find a picture that matches.

That is so true. I recently did a search on R2R to identify a goby that came with a used tank I purchased. No luck. Searching through the different forums for the information, I did eventually find a promising thread to search; however, there were so many links to open and view the separate goby pictures that I finally just gave up in frustration. I don't have dial up, but it sometimes seems that way because my data is limited. Not everyone is blessed with cable services or unlimited free time to search for answers. I ultimately left the R2R site to do an internet search elsewhere. There is little doubt that R2R has a font of information available and free to all. Wading through it is another matter.

Ever call a number only to get a dozen automated phone transfers and in the end be put on hold for half an hour or longer? Am I the only one who feels frustrated when that happens? Similar idea. I think people just want to 'talk' to real people. Go figure. Even with all our many idiosyncrasies and differences of opinion , we're gregarious beings who gravitate toward each other for advice and moral support. Even in this thread. LOL

I hope R2R never stops offering kindly assistance to others because that's what makes this site my go to salty home! I can find 'information' for most questions about reefing or FOWLR tanks on the web in a variety of places. If I want support to help me learn something new (and I'm a lifelong learner), than I come here. :)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say this, & I've said it before, what annoys me is participants who ask questions, you take the time, & apply some effort to answer their questions, & then you get ignored. NO thanks, NO hitting the LIKE button, sometime NO response at all.
This scenario seems to be getting worse.

Many particiupants here not only need to learn how to look after an aquarium, they need to learn some manners.

I've started placing these people on "IGNORE" .

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say this, & I've said it before, what annoys me is participants who ask questions, you take the time, & apply some effort to answer their questions, & then you get ignored. NO thanks, NO hitting the LIKE button, sometime NO response at all.

Many particiupants here not only need to learn how to look after an aquarium, they need to learn some manners.

I dunno that sounds like a personal issue to me.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ?????

You think its ok to ask a question, & then not bother to say thanks, or comment at all to a participant whose gone to the trouble to answer you?

OK
It's never bothered me, personally. I'm not really doing this for praise, its somethign I like to do.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so true. I recently did a search on R2R to identify a goby that came with a used tank I purchased. No luck. Searching through the different forums for the information, I did eventually find a promising thread to search; however, there were so many links to open and view the separate goby pictures that I finally just gave up in frustration. I don't have dial up, but it sometimes seems that way because my data is limited. Not everyone is blessed with cable services or unlimited free time to search for answers. I ultimately left the R2R site to do an internet search elsewhere. There is little doubt that R2R has a font of information available and free to all. Wading through it is another matter.

Ever call a number only to get a dozen automated phone transfers and in the end be put on hold for half an hour or longer? Am I the only one who feels frustrated when that happens? Similar idea. I think people just want to 'talk' to real people. Go figure. Even with all our many idiosyncrasies and differences of opinion , we're gregarious beings who gravitate toward each other for advice and moral support. Even in this thread. LOL

I hope R2R never stops offering kindly assistance to others because that's what makes this site my go to salty home! I can find 'information' for most questions about reefing or FOWLR tanks on the web in a variety of places. If I want support to help me learn something new (and I'm a lifelong learner), than I come here. :)

I also think that a lot of people like answering identification questions. It allows them to flex their abilities. I wish I was one of those people, but I think you either have to be in this hobby on a whole different level or you need to have owned or worked for at an LFS to have those kinds of skills.
I agree with the other poster that sometimes the Pest ones can be ridiculous. Everyone who gets into this hobby should know the very common pests that might get in your tank as well as the common marine life that you find in almost any LFS.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On searching vs asking questions: it's not just that people are lazy and don't want to answer questions. Its that searching is the superior method that leads to superior answers.

Ask a question, and you'll get the opinion of the guy who is online now and has time to answer it and thinks he has an answer for you.

Do a search, and you'll get the collected wisdom of thousands of people over many years. Yeah, you'll have to do a little reading and thinking but you'll end up with a better answer.

Sometimes people complaining about constant repetitive questions aren't being lazy -- theyre trying to teach a man to fish.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my own contribution for pet peeves: "frags cut to order", the kickstarters of frag sales.

Pay me today for a hamburger that might be ready in a few weeks!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All day long!!!

My favorite: Give a correct ID and Op does not acknowledged post and goes on to bump thread.

It's hard not to get that "why bother" attitude.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get bothered by posts where the only intent is to be a gadfly.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back