What type of Powerhead configuration on a 330 Gallon SPS Tank

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I’m getting ready to setup a new ~330 Gal SPS reef tank. It will be 96”L x 34”W x 25” H. I’ve trying to determine what is the optimum Powerhead configuration for the tank. Do I go with MP60’s at each end of the tank and a couple of large Maxspect Gyres on the back? (200 series or 300 series). Or vice-versa, MP40’s (Qty 3) on the back of the tank and Maxspect Gyres on the each end? Also, anyone have any feedback to share on the new Redsea Reefwaves versus the Maxspect Gyres? Or should I be considering some combination of above equipment and bring Tunze into the configuration? Any advice or opinions are genuinely appreciated!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with 4 MP60s. I dont think that will be enough though.

I have 2 MP60s and 2 MP40s in an 8 foot 240. I dont keep SPS though. They cover 2-3 feet from each end pretty good.
I used 2 Maxspect XF 350s for a while but they need very frequent cleaning to keep the flow up.

OP
OP
K

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with 4 MP60s. I dont think that will be enough though.

I have 2 MP60s and 2 MP40s in an 8 foot 240. I dont keep SPS though. They cover 2-3 feet from each end pretty good.
I used 2 Maxspect XF 350s for a while but they need very frequent cleaning to keep the flow up.
how do you have your MP60’s and MP40’s placed in your tank? I really want to add Gyre’s but everyone keeps saying the same thing.....lots of maintenance/cleaning involved.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on the ends
IMG_2565-M.jpg

My aquascape is centered in the tank front to back. The MP40s flow across the back and the 60s across the front. I do not have much flow in the center of the tank though. It is amazing how quickly it dies as you go toward the center.
This tank is 24 inches front to back

OP
OP
K

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on the ends
IMG_2565-M.jpg

My aquascape is centered in the tank front to back. The MP40s flow across the back and the 60s across the front. I do not have much flow in the center of the tank though. It is amazing how quickly it dies as you go toward the center.
This tank is 24 inches front to back

Picture and video is really helpful. I better understand now exactly your setup. Looks like a really mature tank - congrats on all your reef keeping skills! Did you ever consider putting powerheads on the back glass or is the back of your tank up against a wall and that wasn’t possible?

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Tank is 9 months old now. It is coming along well.
I can walk behind my tank and everything that runs it is in a fish room on the other side of the wall behind it.

I tried the 40s on the back with the gyres on the sides and didn't like it. I tried the 40s on the back with the 60s on the sides and didnt like it.
I have had 2 Jebao OW-25s in there. 2 Large Rossmont pumps, 2 XF 350 gyres. and combinations of these.
I should have just bought the Vortechs to start with.
The gyres work the best, but they need cleaned every 2 weeks. They aren't enough by themselves either.
I have several gorgonians. Not enough flow and they go brown and start dying quickly. I kind of go by them as to what is working and what isnt.

The large Tunze pumps are said to move the water the farthest. You might look into them too. I have never owned one though.

I have found there is not much info on making a big setup out there. But it can be done.
I am more of a fish person as you can see in the video. I just like to have a few interesting things for them to swim around. Good luck with the SPS thing.

Last edited:
Back