OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RO only for the past week since the TDS is zero from the membrane. I'll check next batch to see if the smell is still there.

I know it depends on the system but roughly how long would a membrane produce zero TDS? I just can't afford replacing the DI cartridge every couple months and don't have the room or money for a CO2 removing setup right now.

spectrapure2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still having problems please call our tech line 1-800-685-2783 and ask for Mr. Gibbs or Scott. There may be something else going on.
bruce

OP
OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still has the smell with the RO only. Maybe I need an additional carbon block? Could I put carbon where the DI is and reroute the tubing so that it's before the membrane or is it only for DI?

spectrapure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon would be a band-aid to correcting the underlying problem. If the water smells after the RO and not before the RO, then the RO and/or housing is probably slimed with bacteria. The housing can be washed out with bleach and water, but it's hard to clean up a membrane. Keep working backwards through the pre-filters if you still can't determine the source of the smell.

It's also unusual to have a membrane produce 000 TDS, without the tap water being exceptionally good to start with. If your water is that good, there's no telling how long a membrane will last, UNLESS it gets slimed with bacteria.

DI replacement costs have dropped significantly with our lower prices on bulk DI resin. You can replace the resin in DI carts for around $10 per cart now.

Scott
SpectraPure, Inc.

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS dual stage RO unit and heard they are not as good. I would like to go to spectra pure but why would I change? I have a 400 gallong tank do 20 percent water changes a month. My DI depletes in 2 weeks with ATO and water changes.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS dual stage RO unit and heard they are not as good. I would like to go to spectra pure but why would I change? I have a 400 gallong tank do 20 percent water changes a month. My DI depletes in 2 weeks with ATO and water changes.

This might be worthy of it's own thread for you. This is a thread that hasn't been active for 9 years, and is in a local club forum.

Back