What type of softies shed least?

sj2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some sort of branchy soft coral. Some that I like are sinularia, cladiella (colt coral), and capnella (kenya tree). Which one between these sheds least/in the least obtrusive way?

I've always hated the way toadstools shed because they are such an eyesore. I know sinularia don't look to bad with retracted polyps, but Ive never seen anything about colt or kenya tree corals. Thanks for any help

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Water flow is the determining factor as to when and how much a soft coral will shed.
Detritus that collects on coral, sponges or microalgae is never a good thing. When this is evident, usually water flow is the issue and is not strong enough to suspend it in the water column for filtration to rid it from your tank.
I have soft corals in my tank and they very rarely close up and get that sheen that covers them up. This by the way is their own natural defense of removing detritus and algae from growing on them. Once that sheen or mucus substance is removed, the coral will extend and be beautiful, once again.
So, long story short, if you don’t want this to happen, place your soft corals like Sarcophyton, Sinularia, Cladiella, Lobophytum and Alcyonium in an area where they will receive moderate turbid water flow, not laminar.
That should help greatly and allow you to expand the types of soft corals you can buy with fewer worries regarding which ones shed the least.
I hope this helps!
Tom

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back