What type of SPS is this?

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a Toadstool leather almost a year ago, and in that time I discovered this growing from the base.

20210515_184311.jpg

20210515_184743.jpg

I didn't notice it at first, and now it is pretty darn big.

It does have a hard skeleton for sure. While adjusting the leather, I have seen the polyps retract, and touched the skeleton.

Mostly just want to know what it is, so I know what I have been accidentally growing lol.

If it is an acro I might give a more colorful one a shot!

Looking at the "fancy" across though, the skeletons seem to have a different shape, this is just long, and cylindrical with the polyps coming out the whole length.

Thank you ahead of time for your input!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a pocillopora, they come in a lot of different colors, might help fragging it and putting it in higher light and flow

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a common green pocilopora. Healthy one to.

I'll attach a pic of mine behind my purple stylo 16211214252328960554061967043214.jpg that grew from a piece much smaller than yours.

Some reefers hate them because they can spawn in random places, which is likely where yours came from. They arent combative, so if one pops up where you dont want just pick it off.

They can grow very fast, so it should be moved if next to another coral.

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a pocillopora, they come in a lot of different colors, might help fragging it and putting it in higher light and flow
That is a solid idea! I just kinda left it where it was because it seemed to be doing well haha.

I guess my next question would be, how do I do that? Don't want to damage the leather it is attached to either

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a common green pocilopora. Healthy one to.

I'll attach a pic of mine behind my purple stylo 16211214252328960554061967043214.jpg that grew from a piece much smaller than yours.

Some reefers hate them because they can spawn in random places, which is likely where yours came from. They arent combative, so if one pops up where you dont want just pick it off.

They can grow very fast, so it should be moved if next to another coral.
Got any you can send me lol? Hard time finding them up here for some reason.

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any you can send me lol? Hard time finding them up here for some reason.
The reef shop by me (granted I legit have five within a 10 minute drive grom me) has a ton, and it was where I got the leather from as well lol.

Ironically the bigger places by me (TSA and WWC) don't have it usually.

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third question I guess... are the care requirements similar to acro?

I know those are notoriously hard to keep, so I have been hesitant, but if they need the same or similar to this stuff, I would want to give it a shot.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, pocillopora and stylo are pretty easy ime. They prefer medium to higher flow, but not as much as some acros. They like high lighting too but again, fairly tolerant coral

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, pocillopora and stylo are pretty easy ime. They prefer medium to higher flow, but not as much as some acros. They like high lighting too but again, fairly tolerant coral
Cool, appreciate the advice!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an xacto knife or small flat blade screwdriver and just work it slowly at the base until it pops off. If you chip some of it they won't care. Trust me.

Take it and glue it to a frag plug or spare rock for future placement. They like brighter light and flow. Tough coral to kill.

I have a burgundy I will try to get a pic of. The pinks were common years ago but have really fallen out of favor. There used to be a gold variety, but they are even more rare.
16211259904115217798487099521369.jpg

OP
OP
HandofThanatos

HandofThanatos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because it was attached to the leather, it was super easy to get off.

I has a pair of plant tweezers that had broken, so I used those because they were not sharp.

The complicated part was that the leather had finally fully attached itself to the main rockwork so I could not remove it.

Long and short, it is off now and has a new home.

20210516_125709.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the info, and the help!

Back