What type of Urchin is this?

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this urchin on a piece of Liverock I just put into a tub to cycle. I think this is a short spine urchin but not 100 percent sure. Is this reef safe? I have a tuxedo in my tank now, will it be an issue with the two together?

DSC_1973.JPG DSC_1974.JPG

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this urchin on a piece of Liverock I just put into a tub to cycle. I think this is a short spine urchin but not 100 percent sure. Is this reef safe? I have a tuxedo in my tank now, will it be an issue with the two together?

DSC_1973.JPG DSC_1974.JPG
Where did you get the rock? Could be short spine or rock boreing if it's Caribbean

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most urchins aren't super reef safe. I can tell you it shouldn't be a problem with the tuxedo, as long as they have enough food together.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the rock? Could be short spine or rock boreing if it's Caribbean
It was from a previous tank setup.
Most urchins aren't super reef safe. I can tell you it shouldn't be a problem with the tuxedo, as long as they have enough food together.
When you say aren't super reef safe, what do you mean by that?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends on the urchin. Some will directly eat coral, and a lot will just bump into coral and accidentally chew on it a bit. Tuxedos are the least likely to bother anything.

This urchin looks to be a rock-boring urchin of some species, since it's got that perfect cavity it sits in. As far as I know, they tend to not eat coral intentionally, but may run into it and scrape at the edges sometimes while trying to eat algae.

Did the previous tank have coral? If so, whether that coral got eaten should tell you if this is reef-safe.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the urchin. Some will directly eat coral, and a lot will just bump into coral and accidentally chew on it a bit. Tuxedos are the least likely to bother anything.

This urchin looks to be a rock-boring urchin of some species, since it's got that perfect cavity it sits in. As far as I know, they tend to not eat coral intentionally, but may run into it and scrape at the edges sometimes while trying to eat algae.

Did the previous tank have coral? If so, whether that coral got eaten should tell you if this is reef-safe.
I dont believe the tank previously had coral

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed likely rock boring or short spine black....
As far as Urchins OP, currently have had 3 over about the last 10 years. Pincushion, Short Spine Black and Pencil. All model citizen's over that period except the Pencil went rogue and started getting a taste for softies out of the blue last year. Back to LFS for it. Just keep a trained eye on it for now. This little beast may do some exemplary work for you down the road....no issue the two together imo.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back