What type of wrasse is this? Had it for a while not exactly sure.

Qusai A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e046b6ac1700a63ffa4b204e36c60fe5.jpg

OP
OP
Q

Qusai A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pattern looks close to my ornate leopard wrasse, but as the others have said, the colors are odd.

When I bought it the guy said it was from Hawaii and said he thought it was a potters wrasse? Looks nothing like it though

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a transitioning male macropharyngodon meleagris I believe. The only thing faking me out is the anal fin, but I’m pretty confident in my answer.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought it the guy said it was from Hawaii and said he thought it was a potters wrasse? Looks nothing like it though
That’s definitely not a potters wrasse. The short nose wrasse has its name for an obvious reason and the anal fins are much larger on the Potters Leopard :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pattern is fascinating. It looks most like a meleagris, but isn't quite right. Is the source certain it's Hawaiian?

Post in the Let Me ID Your Wrasse thread. Hunter is pretty busy, but he still watches that thread.

OP
OP
Q

Qusai A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what the guy told me but he was a worker and not the one who places orders. Will post in that thread as well, thank you everyone for your expertise, new here.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe It’s because it’s transitioning as you said
It looks more male in the Feb photo which makes me wonder if the wrasse has some sort of infection, illness, or parasite causing it to lose color.

Or perhaps it is aberrant, which can progress as it ages but that doesn’t look “normal” for aberrant coloration, if that’s a thing, haha!

OP
OP
Q

Qusai A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more male in the Feb photo which makes me wonder if the wrasse has some sort of infection, illness, or parasite causing it to lose color.

Or perhaps it is aberrant, which can progress as it ages but that doesn’t look “normal” for aberrant coloration, if that’s a thing, haha!

So earlier on before I posted it in the let me id your wrasse and someone from their thinks it is a macropharyngodon pakoko which was a male and now is transitioning back to a female?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So earlier on before I posted it in the let me id your wrasse and someone from their thinks it is a macropharyngodon pakoko which was a male and now is transitioning back to a female?
It could well be but they don’t transition backwards, or at least I’ve never heard of that actually happening.

I concur with that, species now, however.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back