What was the best change or upgrade you made to your tank(s)?

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to narrow it down to one single thing you did for your tank, what is the best change or upgrade you made? Anything from a change in methods or dosing to a piece of equipment is fair game!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than upgrading to a larger tank, a few things (toss-up as to which one is the best):
• Apex controller
• DOS and Trident-controlled testing and dosing
• AquaUltraviolet UV sterilizer

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank took off right after I did 2 things. I did them almost at the same time, so I can't say for sure which was the actual larger benefit.

I upgraded from cheap, black box lights with no timer so no set schedule, to Kessil A360x TB with full controls. Now my lights run on a set schedule every day. I suspect that schedule helps quite a bit, but have no data to back that up.

The other thing I did was install a HoB overflow to a 10g "sump" which houses an oversized skimmer. The old HoB skimmer I was using was inefficient at best. My tank is so overstocked that the oversized one I have now is really necessary.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I bought and cut a piece of glass to put in my sump over 4 of my 6 sock filter holes. It's made me extremely happy and my sock usage is much more reasonable/cost effective.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur denitrator hands down. I purchased it long ago and it has been on 4 tanks so far. I doubt I would ever run a system without one.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 135 will be a reef ready with a sump.

I am happy with my canisters and my tank looks amazing, but I am super excited to see what I can do with a sump.
So many options on how to run the tank with a sump , I turned mine into cryptic zone / refugium Not to mention it hides all the equipment you’re gonna love it!

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubber. Been keeping reef tanks since the 90s, had refugiums on most tanks. Every year or two I would have a battle with hair algae. When ATSs came on the scene I didnt pay much attention. I would use different methods to clear up the algae, but it was always a pain. Since getting an ATS, I have not had an algae outbreak. I feel like I rarely even have to clean the glass. Nothing out competes a nuisance algae like the same nuisance algae growing in a different spot. Of all the stuff that has come out in the last 30 years, algae scrubbers are my favorite.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back