What was the fish you were most excited to get?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In this hobby there have been multiple times that I've gotten fish and was super excited about it...in fact, that's probably how I usually react to new fish...or corals...but anyway...I digress. If I really think about it, there have been a handful of times where I got something that just absolutely thrilled me more than usual...kind of like getting a bucket list fish or something. LOL Anyway, I think if I compare them all, the one that I was most excited ever to get was an Aussie Harlequin Tuskfish. That may be a strange choice, but that was the one that I think made me the most excited I've ever been about a fish. He was awesome! I had to get rid of him when we moved to Cali, and I haven't had another since, but he was definitely one of those fish that I'd always wanted...and I still get excited to see those.

1.jpeg

I don't have a pic of mine, but I love this photo of @OrionN's Aussie Harlequin.

What about you? What's the fish that you the most excited you've ever been over a fish? Did that excitement last?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to tell one story but after thinking about it I recalled another.

In the old days 10+ years ago it was very common to line up at LFS 30 minutes even an hour before they opened to get a good spot in line on shipment day. It's not that they were that hard to find but I really wanted a purple tang. I guess red sea wasn't as common then, but they were cheaper. I remember netting him myself in the store as soon as doors opened because I found the perfect small one and did not want anyone else to get him.

Excitement lasted until he ate a very expensive elegance coral which I never would have believed but I saw him with some in his mouth. I did still keep him and ended up giving him away, with any luck he's still alive today.

Another fish I was really excited for was a Lineatus wrasse. Got him straight from Australia (through LFS) and it was the first time I was a little concerned with dripping since he had been in the bag so long. Worked out fine and he did live several years before a big crash got all of my beloved wrasses.

IMG_2680.jpg

It's been a few years since I've been really excited about a fish. The last one was my yellow scopas tang. Still excited to look at him everyday. I want to find something new to be excited about!

yellowscopas.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to mention two. While I'm a wrasse addict neither of them are wrasses or expensive. The first a the very first saltwater fish I got...a pair of black and white clowns.

The second was Copper Band Butterfly that Bobby brought to me out his tank when he moved. I was thrilled and he is the only named fish my tank has ever had.

Beaker
copperband-pyramid (1 of 1).jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is is not a fish but a Gigantea Anemone. I have tried for years to get Gigantea Anemone to live, 10+ years. They always died under my care from infection.
A LFS here in Corpus Christi imported several Gigantea from Indonesia. Knowing that I was looking for Gigantea for a long time, he texted me to let me know that he have one that lived. I was on vacation and did not get back for about a week.
The anemone still alive and looks healthy at the LFS after 1 week. He wanted an arm and a leg for it so I did not want to spend that much money in a hurry. I have him keep it at the LFS for another week, got my tank all ready for him before I got him home. That was the one time that I was most excited to get an animal.
He is still with me today.
Here he is the Gigantea on the R side
gigantea2018051702-jpg.747133

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really excited to get my blue throat trigger, I had always wanted a trigger, once he was in the display swimming I think I watched him for over an hour straight! So mesmerizing the way they swim!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is is not a fish but a Gigantea Anemone. I have tried for years to get Gigantea Anemone to live, 10+ years. They always died under my care from infection.
A LFS here in Corpus Christi imported several Gigantea from Indonesia. Knowing that I was looking for Gigantea for a long time, he test me to let me know that he have one that lived. I was on vacation and did not get back for about a week.
The anemone still alive and looks healthy at the LFS after 1 week. He wanted an arm and a leg for it so I did not want to spend that much money in a hurry. I have him keep it at the LFS for another week, got my tank all ready for him before I got him home. That was the one time that I was most excited to get an animal.
He is still with me today.
Here he is the Gigantea on the R side
gigantea2018051702-jpg.747133
That’s beautiful, have you had any problems with it catching fish or moving

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful, have you had any problems with it catching fish or moving
I have a numbers of Carpets in my tank now. Two Haddoni’s and 4 Gigantea’s and 2 Magnifica’s. They stay put with no problem, although my Carpet occasionally catch a fish. So far this year I lost a Naoko, a Blue throat and a Copper Band Butterfly. I have not had a bad year like this for quite a while. No fish lost to the anemones for at least 3 years prior to this year.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The orange swordtails that I got as a kid, rainwater killifish (a somewhat unique killifish that I collected and bred in saltwater), and my first pair of clowns all have great memories and I was excited to get each of them. A fish that I am excited about getting (and hopefully breeding) is the Amphiprion mccullochi!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a numbers of Carpets in my tank now. Two Haddoni’s and 4 Gigantea’s and 2 Magnifica’s. They stay put with no problem, although my Carpet occasionally catch a fish. So far this year I lost a Naoko, a Blue throat and a Copper Band Butterfly. I have not had a bad year like this for quite a while. No fish lost to the anemones for at least 3 years prior to this year.
That’s rough. How long have you had them for?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with @OrionN that it is my 18” green haddoni, but I have to add the plain ole Clarkii female and the black Clarkii mated pair to the mix. Clarkiis are my favorite clownfish and to have an off color pair with their nems is just a blast. Only loss is a one spot foxface and a long spine urchin. Yes it ate a long spine urchin. The one spot just got to close coming out of a nook in the rocks. Either way, I have had this nem for quite a few years. 6 I think as the clowns are 5 now. It originally hosted 2x tomato clowns, but those were moved to another tank due to aggression.

The female is out of the shot looking for me to feed her, but the male is just poking his head out and will leave the eggs.
E7584967-A0C6-4FF6-A45C-6E9B72643FE8.jpeg

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with @OrionN that it is my 18” green haddoni, but I have to add the plain ole Clarkii female and the black Clarkii mated pair to the mix. Clarkiis are my favorite clownfish and to have an off color pair with their nems is just a blast. Only loss is a one spot foxface and a long spine urchin. Yes it ate a long spine urchin. The one spot just got to close coming out of a nook in the rocks. Either way, I have had this nem for quite a few years. 6 I think as the clowns are 5 now. It originally hosted 2x tomato clowns, but those were moved to another tank due to aggression.

The female is out of the shot looking for me to feed her, but the male is just poking his head out and will leave the eggs.
E7584967-A0C6-4FF6-A45C-6E9B72643FE8.jpeg
I really want a ananeome like that for my new tank but I’d be super worried about it killing stuff :(

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back