What was your first or biggest "newbie" mistake? | Tank Talk Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a couple of very small brass fittings on some plumbing years ago when I was first starting. Brass is a copper alloy. Copper is poison to most aquatic organisms. I did find a good way to eradicate GSP though, LOL!

This just struck me.
Could a copper based medication be used to eradicate aptasia? Of course depending on the infestation if it kills it off managing water quality would be important, and any inverts would need to be removed. Hmmm?

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a kid I washed my hands with SOAP before doing waterchanges ect...
crashed a few tanks before I figured it out...
(antibacterial soap residue will crash a tank...)

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put salt and freshwater in the tank during a water change. Didn't go well.

Oh my god thank you for saying this, I did the exact same thing when I first started, and here I was reading through a list of mistakes that others made thinking wow I must be the only one who did something that dumb.. No offense lol. In my case I dumped a bunch of salt on a coral I had inherited with the tank-- I saw RTN on a whole other level before my eyes

Live and learn.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god thank you for saying this, I did the exact same thing when I first started, and here I was reading through a list of mistakes that others made thinking wow I must be the only one who did something that dumb.. No offense lol. In my case I dumped a bunch of salt on a coral I had inherited with the tank-- I saw RTN on a whole other level before my eyes

Live and learn.

I wouldn't say it's a dumb mistake. There's just a very steep learning curve to this hobby. Mistakes will happen unfortunately! :tongue1:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back