What will be safe with my new Valentini Puffer?

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I purchased a Valentini puffer. I was just wondering if my chocolate chip stars, my blue linkia star, and my red knobby starfish will be safe with the puffer? What about my feather dusters? Turbo snails? Hermit crabs? I read that they’re peaceful fish, but they like to snack on inverts... I also know everyone has different experiences. I just don’t want the puffer to kill anything. I’m still traumatized from my bird wrasse eating my camel shrimp... Does anyone have any experience with Valentini puffers? Did I make a bad decision?

Thank you!

Last edited:

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might leave things alone as they are already in the tank but no guarantees, definitely do not add anymore shrimp, crabs etc or it will probably see them as food.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he hasn’t touched my sand sifting seastar. He hasn’t messed with any of the current snails crabs or hermit crabs in the tank. However any new crabs I add he attacks. I was able to get away with putting 4 trocus snails in after lights out. I tried the same thing with a sally lightfoot crab and he became an expensive snack. In my experience they don’t really mess with the current invert population. However this could just be an exception. Even if it works out the same way for you it makes replenishing a clean up crew very difficult.

OP
OP
alexandra26

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your replies!

He seems to be just exploring his new home right now. He did pick at my one feather duster, unfortunately, but the feather duster is fine. He hasn’t touched the feather dusters since, and he’s not really worried about anything else. He does seem to like picking the spirorbid worms off of my live rocks, though.

morgan_jAq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I purchased a Valentini puffer. I was just wondering if my chocolate chip stars, my blue linkia star, and my red knobby starfish will be safe with the puffer? What about my feather dusters? Turbo snails? Hermit crabs? I read that they’re peaceful fish, but they like to snack on inverts... I also know everyone has different experiences. I just don’t want the puffer to kill anything. I’m still traumatized from my bird wrasse eating my camel shrimp... Does anyone have any experience with Valentini puffers? Did I make a bad decision?

Thank you!
I’m wondering the same thing! I have a baby bamboo shark and a blue spot Fiji puffer (similar body type to Valentini) and I want feather dusters to add some extra color without harming either. Unfortunately I think it’s a hit or miss with puffers and feather dusters.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is, at least with respect to other ‘Fish’— I have had one with a wide variety of of fish and it was a perfect tank mate. Now a clean-up crew could be another story. Get a Fighting Conch of decent size and you’ll get your sand cleaned without and worries of it being eaten.

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had one years ago and he was a character. He also got along with other fish.

The issue was with the snails and crabs. He started out ignoring them and eventually started picking them off. My kids love their shrimp and crabs, so we found a new home for him.

morgan_jAq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is, at least with respect to other ‘Fish’— I have had one with a wide variety of of fish and it was a perfect tank mate. Now a clean-up crew could be another story. Get a Fighting Conch of decent size and you’ll get your sand cleaned without and worries of it being eaten.
For me when it comes to puffers I’ve had dogfaces and Fiji’s and for cleanup crew I always use diamond back gobies. They have adorable personalities and keep ur sand super clean I love them to death and have never had a problem with them and puffers. Add them with the lights off tho. That’s always a good choice when adding anything to a tank with aggressive mates.

Attachments

• 62317611839__9A3A98FE-2B40-43BD-A77B-E5D984B34197.MOV
    697.4 KB
Back