what will eat this type of algae?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a thick hair algae that just creates a dense fuzz around the rocks. It also clogs up all my fan corals... I have an abalone in the tank and a few different types of snails and emerald crabs. The only thing that seems to touch it (maybe) is the crabs, but they dont make a dent? thoughts? maybe an urchin?

Thanks!

1632371475512.png

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a thick hair algae that just creates a dense fuzz around the rocks. It also clogs up all my fan corals... I have an abalone in the tank and a few different types of snails and emerald crabs. The only thing that seems to touch it (maybe) is the crabs, but they dont make a dent? thoughts? maybe an urchin?

Thanks!

1632371475512.png
My black spot foxface at stuff like that. Pretty sexy shrimp and rfa.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many algae eating members of the CUC won't touch it once it gets long. A sea hare will, certain fish like tangs will as well. Your best bet is to scrub and siphon it out manually then work on correcting the cause, namely excess nutrients.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that’s cladophora, I haven’t found anything that will eat it. I’ve tried flucanozole, and it’s definitely beat it back, but it’s a slow process, doesn’t die quickly like bryopsis. Let me know if you find anything that will eat it.

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many algae eating members of the CUC won't touch it once it gets long. A sea hare will, certain fish like tangs will as well. Your best bet is to scrub and siphon it out manually then work on correcting the cause, namely excess nutrients.
i may try a sea hare... the algae has not grown long.. it just sits in the thick mat.. but it is hard to pull off.

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that’s cladophora, I haven’t found anything that will eat it. I’ve tried flucanozole, and it’s definitely beat it back, but it’s a slow process, doesn’t die quickly like bryopsis. Let me know if you find anything that will eat it.
I tried to look up that type of algae on the internet.. lol.. 50 pics of 50 different algae all tagged with the same name. i may throw a small urchin in there and a sea hare.. see if either eat it. maybe get a few different snails as well.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to look up that type of algae on the internet.. lol.. 50 pics of 50 different algae all tagged with the same name. i may throw a small urchin in there and a sea hare.. see if either eat it. maybe get a few different snails as well.
Yeah, there are tons of different species within the genus, but the kind I have is wiry, hard to pull off the rocks, and it branchs (looks sort of like fennel).

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black spot eats, turf,bubble,hair, and any macro I've thrown in the tank. Its definitely my utility algea cleaner. It's a must add fish to any system I set up.

Back