OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No disrespect was intended. Just a concern that I thought could help with his issue

No need to get your panties tied up in a bunch.
No harm done on my side. Trust me, I appreciate all the advice I can get.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Ornate Leopard (Macropharyngodon ornatus).
It's also pretty unusual for a leopard to pose a threat to ornamental inverts. However, it can happen. Usually however, it takes a hungry fish to do so. What are you feeding and how often?

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also pretty unusual for a leopard to pose a threat to ornamental inverts. However, it can happen. Usually however, it takes a hungry fish to do so. What are you feeding and how often?
Thanks for the + ID!

I vary what I feed - sometimes flake, sometimes micro pellets, sometimes frozen mysis or frozen fish slurry, and often times a mixture of different stuff. I only feed once per day, adding a small amount at a time. Once what I've added disappears, I add more, and so on and so forth until the eating slows and the food begins to hit the sand.

If I fed the tank more often, might I have less risk to an invert population?

4c24dbca4f621b1d38b7a4c293ef006d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the + ID!

I vary what I feed - sometimes flake, sometimes micro pellets, sometimes frozen mysis or frozen fish slurry, and often times a mixture of different stuff. I only feed once per day, adding a small amount at a time. Once what I've added disappears, I add more, and so on and so forth until the eating slows and the food begins to hit the sand.

4c24dbca4f621b1d38b7a4c293ef006d.jpg
I should also mention I have a pretty robust population of copepods in the tank, which I supplement from time to time to keep the population up, and an ever growing colony of amphipods in my sump that are constantly being sucked into the display.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Wrasses need meaty foods at least 2-3 times per day (more is even better).
He's hungry, and finding food...

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Wrasses need meaty foods at least 2-3 times per day (more is even better).
He's hungry, and finding food...
Awesome, thank you sooooo much for the advice. I'm going to up my feedings for a week or two, then buy a few cheap shrimp and see how it goes.

Would you recommend any particular foods for this guy over and above those I've already mentioned?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend any particular foods for this guy over and above those I've already mentioned?
The meatier, the better.
Personally I feed mysis, Rod's, or LRS twice a day, and use NLS pellets once a day.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meatier, the better.
Personally I feed mysis, Rod's, or LRS twice a day, and use NLS pellets once a day.
Just an update... I upped my feeding schedule, and after a week introduced two peppermint shrimp. They've been in the tank two weeks and are still alive and kicking. Crossing my fingers that it lasts!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly this. Ornate are one of my favorites! Mine was reef safe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back