what wood stand sealant to use after boracare?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sprayed my stand with boracare. I see I need to seal it now within a few weeks. Which one to use? Is there an easy spray one to use? this?:
TIA

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to get supercompliated. Ideally an easy spray and thats it. then I need to paint if after
TIA

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally any compatible acrylic sealer/primer/paint/clear. Not all paints are compatible. Compatibility charts are available for Enamels, Acrylics, and Lacquers as well recommended paint types for any given material wood, fiberglass, metals, etc.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally any compatible acrylic sealer/primer/paint/clear. Not all paints are compatible. Compatibility charts are available for Enamels, Acrylics, and Lacquers as well recommended paint types for any given material wood, fiberglass, metals, etc.
Thank you!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I really dont know what to do. I knew something that looks simple could be complicated.
Can I just paint the stand? You mentioned any compatible acrylic sealer, primer, paint/ clear.? Compatible with what? The wood?
Can the sealant be a combination of sealant and paint in one can? Id like to do this right, but not get hyper complicated about it.
TIA

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Rust Oleum Gloss White Topside Paint on Mine.Rolled it out in the sun, for a week, to dry. Then Masked it off and sprayed the outside with Krylon Fusion, Satin Black. BTW, I recently did the Canopy the same way. The Krylon Fusion lifted the Topside Paint. The cold weather, didn’t let it dry enough, even though it felt dry, after waiting five days

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I really dont know what to do. I knew something that looks simple could be complicated.
Can I just paint the stand? You mentioned any compatible acrylic sealer, primer, paint/ clear.? Compatible with what? The wood?
Can the sealant be a combination of sealant and paint in one can? Id like to do this right, but not get hyper complicated about it.
TIA

The Mod Podge paint you FishPersonFL listed was an Acrylic paint. Acrylic and Enamel for example do not mix and are less tolerable if not prepared correctly. While Acrylic can be sprayed and sprayed over by Enamel the base coat must fully cure before a different type of paint such as Enamel can be sprayed over otherwise the paint can undesirably lift, bubble, fish eye, orange peel etc. from a painted surface.

Bora-Care made by Nisus: Bora-Care can be sprayed, brushed or foamed onto bare wood surfaces and voids. The product cannot be fogged. Wood treated with Bora-Care will appear darker than normal for a few days until the chemical dries in. Bora-Care will not affect the paint or staining of the wood. Wood treated with Bora-Care is non-toxic to humans and animals. Bora-Care must be diluted with hot water in a bucket and then added to your sprayer. Failure to pre-mix in a bucket will cause your sprayer to clog.

If you decide to use Acrylic paint then a general rule is to use Acrylic paint throughout your project: sealer/primer/paint/clear. If you use Enamel then a general rule is to use Enamel paint throughout your project. I made this comment because in post #2 you mentioned an application of paint after listing Mod Podge.

And if I may, generally aerosol type paints recommend a temperature for both surface and room/environment. Professional painters mix paints themselves for various conditions eg., temperature and humidity compensating (catalyst) for less than ideal environments rather than conditions set by premixed aerosol canned paint manufactures.

A lot of paints are toxic so if you decide to paint indoors or a heated area be sure to read warning labels. Paint can be flammable as well cause respiratory damage.

Disclaimer: This above was written for general help only. For example, please do not hold me liable if painter does not shake a can enough or directs spray nozzle improperly :dizzy-face:

Hope this helps,
Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Rust Oleum Gloss White Topside Paint on Mine.Rolled it out in the sun, for a week, to dry. Then Masked it off and sprayed the outside with Krylon Fusion, Satin Black. BTW, I recently did the Canopy the same way. The Krylon Fusion lifted the Topside Paint. The cold weather, didn’t let it dry enough, even though it felt dry, after waiting five days

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. What is masking off? Since the topside was lifted off, I guess it shoudl be sealed and painted differently?
What shoudl I do to paint the stand now it has the boracare dried on it? I was reading an epoxy or something along those lines for the insdie for waterproofing. If anyone can tell me that , with exactly which spray sealer and paints to get. I dont know anything about painting and sealing other than you spray paint and it makes something a differnt color.
TIA

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire stand was painted with Four Coats of Gloss White, to make it Water Resistant. Outside was Hand Sanded with 400 grit Sandpaper followed by 0000:Steelwool to smooth out paint. I masked the interior, with Masking tape and paper. Spray Painted the outside with Krylon Satin Black. BTW I use a “Preppin Weapon,” Sanding Block. You’ll toss your Sanding block with the nails after using these. Also I tend to go with a lighter grit sandpaper, as I have a tendency to over-sand.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 65 Gallon Refinished Stand, outside Satin Black, inside Topside White.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just paint will seal it, is what it sounds like (?). Does it need to be a certain type? I have 0 knowledge on paint types, but sounds liek there is epoxy based and acrylic based. Id like to just paint it once and be done. It's how I have done all my other stands when I painted them. The onliy difference to this one is that I treated it with the boracare
TIA!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ireally apprciate all the input here. There's apparently a few ways to do this. SInce I need to use same type for all produtcs applied. i dont need prefection, just for the stand to be decent.
I'd use an acrylic sealant (?). then primer (?). are there combo sealants /primers? and acrylic paint on that. Are there paints that can be used as a sealer as well?
TIA

Back