What would average monthly costs be?

Mehlvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to build a 125 gallon reef tank and am trying to figure out how much it will cost on a monthly basis. I realize this can vary based on many factors. I’m planning on doing 15gal water changes weekly. I don’t have a quarantine tank and unfortunately don’t have space for one. I will have an RODI. What would you estimate monthly upkeep costing?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on if its basic maintenance or the tank incorporating dosing chemicals and all or if its that and the costant new purchases everytime your LFS UPLOAD NEW STOCK! (facepalm);)

But would say for my 200l I do 35Lweekely WC at no cost due to using natural sea water. Only thing wouls be dosing Alk mag calc aminos every day. Hard to really estimate exactly how much it cost but a 500ML bottle would last me around 7 weeks so thats $4a week x 3 plus anything else. I would say mine would be around $15- 25 a week including power bill. Hard to really say but I try and not think about it unlike the wife.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 and it would be hard for me to figure out how much my monthly upkeep costs, but I can say that how much electricity costs where you live will probably make a big difference. Along with the type of equipment you use. If younl decide to light your tank with metal halide lights (which is pretty rare now) it's going to cost a lot more in electricity than using the more common led fixtures.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My single largest monthly cost is FOOD!

The majority of tank cost is upfront. Equipment, decor, and livestock. Once you have all of that in place the actual running cost is minor. You will need to replace RODI filters and such, but those costs are fractional to the initial expense.

Food, on the other hand is an absolute necessity and a definite ongoing expense. I spend roughly $60 a month to keep my fish fed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my monthly costs to maintain my tank that I can think of.
40% bucket of salt (reef crystals) per month= $12 (I only buy the buckets when I can find them on sale then I stock up)
About 100 gallons of rodi water which is probably 500 gallons with waste=$6.97 where I live
2 part dosing (I make my mixes from dry powder bought from BRS or grocery store so it fairly minimal cost)= $10 (this is just a guess and maybe a little high honestly).
Electricity - with my heater and lights taking up most of it I roughly calculated my monthly usage as 400 kWh= $45 where I live
Food - I go through a few blister packs of frozen food per month and my pellets and flake foods last me a while. Plus I recently added a couple tangs to my tank so now I will need to buy more nori = $15
Testing- generally the bulk of my testing is now done with my trident so the reagents for it cost a little over $15 a month but I'll round up= $20 this will help include the other tests that I do weekly (nitrate and phosphate basically)

I'm sure I'm missing something and some of these values will vary drastically (like power usage based upon season) but my estimate for monthly maintenance is just under $110 per month for my 125g. Which really is insignificant to how much I have been spending per month on fish and corals. Although I suspect that will be slowing down soon...or at least that what I tell my wife.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food - I go through a few blister packs of frozen food per month and my pellets and flake foods last me a while. Plus I recently added a couple tangs to my tank so now I will need to buy more nori = $15

Where are you getting frozen food that cheap? The best place I have found is my local PetSmart and I pay about $9 per pack!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff I get is just the cheap little cube blister packs. I just get them from PetSmart and price match their online prices. They're just under $5 a pack. I feed mysis and brine that way.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting frozen food that cheap? The best place I have found is my local PetSmart and I pay about $9 per pack!!
I'd guess some of this may be a difference in where we live as well, because the frozen packs I buy from PetSmart are only $7 normally without matching the online price. I live in WV where the cost of living is very low, assuming your account info is right you live in CA, where I'm guessing the cost of living is much higher than where I'm at.
I looked up a generic electricity cost chart per state and the electric that costs me $45 would cost $75 if I lived in CA.

Ditryin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend w-a-y more on my two dogs (I'm talking just dog food and treats) every month than I do on my 150. :D

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I get notices from the power company that I use way more than my neighbors.
That’s because those grow-ops are hard on electricity. ;)

In answer to the OP’s question, the answer is: it really depends. Water, electricity, salt, RODI filters, food, supplements - not too mention repairs, maintenance, cleaning, replacing broken equipment, additions and upgrades, etc.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$9=£7.50 roughly so seeems expensive to me.all the lfs close to me which is about 8-10 different lfs they generally charge £ 2.99 sometimes £ 3.99 maximum which is a surprise as usually everything more expensive in england like 40% more looking at prices americans pay for skimmers/ powerheads/etc etc

D
Edit: forgot to attach picyures of what food/brand is £ 2.99

20210828_123336.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first year, you just bleed money. There is always a fancy new machine to get, stock up on fish, stock up on corals, replace dead fish and corals, buy stuff to cure the algae outbreak... going on vacation? Well you need a wifi cam, auto feeder, perhaps a fishsitter if you gone a long time. Power outages in your area? Well you need a battery powered air pump, generator or portable power station... Live in a hot area? Then you'll need a chiller.... etc.

Once you get past the first year, then becomes maintenance cost mainly, I would estimate CAD30-40 monthly for me on a 32 gallon tank

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broken down monthly, our 150g run approx $85. This accounts for the following:

Food - $22 (LRS)
Salt - $27 (Instant Ocean 23g/week)
T5s (x6) - $12.50 (ATI Coral+)
UV sterilizer - $7.55 (Pentair 40w)
RODI filters - $4.39 (BRS 4 stage)
Power (18.25kwh) - $2.12
Water (400g) - $2.10
2 part - $7.66 (BRS pharma)

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I don't spend anywhere near that much. Electricity varies by where you live but besides that my own normal expense is food. Yesterday I spent about $50.00 but that will last me about 3 months.

RO membranes, lights, calcium, alk and test kits are yearly expenses and very low. For me about $200.00 or less and thats only if a light breaks and they last a few years. I have heaters and pumps for decades, some from the 70s or 80s.

I use NSW but when I used ASW I only change water about 4 times a year so that is also very low.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because those grow-ops are hard on electricity. ;)

In answer to the OP’s question, the answer is: it really depends. Water, electricity, salt, RODI filters, food, supplements - not too mention repairs, maintenance, cleaning, replacing broken equipment, additions and upgrades, etc.
Because I light my tank with t5’s
I have been asked many times by neighbours what I’m growing cause the bright blue lights shine through the curtains .

I have never had the electricity company compare my usage with neighbours but water company has .
I use 30% more water compared to the average family

Making rodi water when I was setting up the 230 raised a few concerns

PlasticOcean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first year, you just bleed money. There is always a fancy new machine to get, stock up on fish, stock up on corals, replace dead fish and corals, buy stuff to cure the algae outbreak... going on vacation? Well you need a wifi cam, auto feeder, perhaps a fishsitter if you gone a long time. Power outages in your area? Well you need a battery powered air pump, generator or portable power station... Live in a hot area? Then you'll need a chiller.... etc.

Once you get past the first year, then becomes maintenance cost mainly, I would estimate CAD30-40 monthly for me on a 32 gallon tank
What he said.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back