What Would Be A Perfect Clam Tank In Shape For Best Viewing ? What Small Fish, Crab, Macro Algae, etc ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fishing around an idea of creating a perfect tank for viewing wonderful and beautiful Clam's.

Problem- Most reef stores have shallow tanks that are very short in height for SPS's, but with water flowing on the surface like waves. That combo creates a blurry look at corals, clams and even fish. You can buy or make a "acrylic viewing box", but that sucks. So to get away from that, you can turn off the return pump and/or, turn off the power heads. It's difficult to see clams in this matter, as the best viewing is directly overhead, unlike corals.

My thoughts are , these are frag selling tanks, not suited for the home aquarist, unless it's purpose is growing out frags. I want a system that works more like viewing a reef or fowler tank. Any ideas ?

I would like to add small and clam safe, fish, crabs, mushrooms, macro algae's, etc. Any ideas on selection's ?

I have a lot of old school live rock and buckets of BRS's dead white rock.

I haven't decided on tank size, gallons, which lights, skimmer (if needed) sump (if needed) sand type and depth,

Would it be a good idea to start out slow in size of the tank ? I'm setting up a 125g in-wall mixed reef. The fish room in back of it, I have two 29g BioCubes for Q/T's for small fish the second for corals, and a 14g BioCube as a hospital fish tank. If needed, I also have a 40g breeder or three 55g. tank's for larger fish.

I do have a couple of Kessel pendant lights, a 4' length hooded LED setup and a few other's to choose from.

So, give me your thoughts of a great viewing Clam community aquarium ?
Kevin

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only alternative i can think of to a shallow tank is an angled tank. not a complete “look-down” perspective but close to it.

1573878673437.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only alternative i can think of to a shallow tank is an angled tank. not a complete “look-down” perspective but close to it.

1573878673437.jpeg
What an interesting tank. Seems like it would have its flaws though? Lighting spread, cleaning, oxygenation, water flow? Curious. But I like the idea of easy viewing.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a cleaning magnet, it may work fine. As for light, you could make angled acrylic brackets for a couple of light strips to enlighten the critters.

Anyone have one ? I looked on YouTube but came up empty. I've seen several pics though, but no information.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across Marc's info on a slant tank. I'll try to read it later and contact him.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea Marc. If you don't mind, can you give is details on the tank, sizes of the walls, volume, sand depth and why, (I like sand bed's) what light, sump etc. Anemones and clowns are my wife and I's favorite symbiotic relationships. Is the tank still up & running ?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the pic is from marc levenson’s web site. i’m not exactly sure but i believe he builds them.

edit: i should have read the link first, hehe. yes, marc built the tank. :)

Back