what would cause all of my softies to suddenly die?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is very odd.

i have long suspected i have a micro nutrient depletion problem in my tank, as i skim very wet, always forget to do water changes, and never use any sort of supplements.

in an attempt to get some nutrients in the tank to help my sps look better, i bought a couple of products over the weekend and dosed them into my tank.
tank volume is ~65g.

(did a 1 time does this past weekend)
-2 drops lugols iodine (been doing this for 2 weeks actually)
-3 capfuls of kent marine coral-vite

(did 3 doses of this since sunday)
-2 spoonfuls of tropic marin pro-coral zooton (dry plankton supplement for stony corals)

so basically, i just noticed on monday that my xenia was completely withered, and by today is dying rapidly.

my star polyps have not opened since the weekend, as well as my toadstool.

my rics also look very pale.

all of my other corals, including zoas, lps, and sps look perfectly happy.

any ideas? this is very weird.

PS...please don't ask why my parameters are...lol i know they are all in check. due to the sudden shock to these corals, i'm absolutely positive it had to be because of one of these supplements.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that it's related to the iodine. I've used Coral-Vite before with great success with the corals you mention, and the Tropic-Marin is a food source. Lugol's is extremely concentrated, so when you add it your iodine level will rise very rapidly. However, iodine is also removed very rapidly by skimming. Since you wet skim it's being pulled out even faster causing a rapid and large fluctuation in nutrient load. Xenia can be picky about changes to its' water so it doesn't surprise me to see it affected first. That's my guess anyway.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that it's related to the iodine. I've used Coral-Vite before with great success with the corals you mention, and the Tropic-Marin is a food source. Lugol's is extremely concentrated, so when you add it your iodine level will rise very rapidly. However, iodine is also removed very rapidly by skimming. Since you wet skim it's being pulled out even faster causing a rapid and large fluctuation in nutrient load. Xenia can be picky about changes to its' water so it doesn't surprise me to see it affected first. That's my guess anyway.

the directions say 1 drop per 25gallons. so i figured i was well within safe limits.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nvm. read your post again.

here's what I found as "ingredients" in coral-vite. maybe something in here mixed with lugol's didn't work too well with your softies?

"Inorganic mineral salts of Barium, Boron, Bromine, Calcium, Cobalt, Fluorine, Iodine, Iron, Lithium, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Rubidium and Strontium; EDTA, Vitamins: L-Ascorbic Acid 2-Sulfate Dipotassium Dihydrate, Vitamin A Propionate, Vitamin A Palmitate, D-Activated animal sterol (Vitamin D3), Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Niacin, d-Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12, d-Biotin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K3) in a base containing Deionized Water, inorganic stabilizing compounds, and preservatives. "

Last edited:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Iodine as well and quit cause most multi-mineral or vitamin supplements also have Iodine in them.....The only Iodine product I would dose if I thought it necessary was Iodide which from my understandings from what I have read on it is much less caustic and is more stable when used then straight Iodine like Lugol's.....I agree with Russel it is most likely the cause of your issue. I wouldn't worry about the leather though they are tough corals. I had one closed up for 9 months and never showed a single polyp the whole time.....Might want to do a couple water changes over the next week just to see if it help the Xenia come back and help the star polyps to open.....I have had star polyps do the samething for long periods of time as well and come back strong...

scp443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is outside what you've considered to be the culprit but the seasons are changing, could the temperature of your tank be swinging wildly everyday without you knowing it? I only think this because i have had problems in the past with xenia and rics in nano tanks because of temperature fluxuations. i know your tank isnt a nano tank but its worth a look. i would check the temp 4 or 5 times a day for a couple days to see how it changes throughout the day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back