What would cause water to go cloudy over night

Kylepope2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has turned pretty cloudy over night it looks as if it could be bacterial bloom but why would this Happen I haven’t changed anything or added anything and nothing has died in the tank and decomposed

Could anybody give an insight to why this could happen please

phosphates are 0.01 and nitrates are 5

0 ammonia and 0 nitrite

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have urchins they can spawn a milky white cloud as well.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature fluctuations could affect it, air quality.. it’s doesn’t necessarily mean that something bad has happened, it’s just that the conditions are right for bacteria to multiply quickly. As like all living things that consume food of some sort, once the bacteria eliminates its food source the cloudiness should go away... if it is indeed a bacterial bloom.

Uv sterilizers can help blooms, but the only negative part about a bloom is that it’s unsightly while also possibly depleting some oxygen in the water.

My tank is still new, bare bottom and it has blooms at least once a week. As the tank matures they’ll hopefully become less frequent.

OP
OP
Kylepope2020

Kylepope2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not running any carbon, have been debating it though. And possibly, but it’s been like it two days today

I have no urchins would like one though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bacterial bloom or bedding getting stirred up
Lab carbon or chemipure blue will clear it in several hours
Also adding a cheap power filter from Walmart will filter out the small micron particles and clean it up quickly

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are 4 things I have seen:
Bacteria bloom probably #1
Something spawns like snails, anemone etc.
Macro Algae going sexual.
If you have a sand bed something stirred it up.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not running any carbon, have been debating it though. And possibly, but it’s been like it two days today

I have no urchins would like one though.

if it is a bacterial bloom, mine last nearly two weeks, was just about to buy a uv unit then it went as fast as it came.

Make sure you have plenty surface movement as it can use up oxygen.

OP
OP
Kylepope2020

Kylepope2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of this morning the water has a very strong green tint to it, now this changes things so I assume this is a algae bloom now ? I haven’t changed my lighting and my phosphates and nitrates are low, only thing I have done is fed phytoplankton to the tank a few times only 2ml but not even everyday

Attachments

• 0A2B49EE-FFF4-4439-9483-F77D96174B1B.jpeg
    0A2B49EE-FFF4-4439-9483-F77D96174B1B.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 61

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best course of action for it ? Leave it be and let it pass or get a uv steriliser plumbed in ?
You can run UV, but there’s other easier options like 5 micron felt filter socks combined with a floccing agent like Dr. Tim’s Clear-up. That will clear the water in 24-48 hrs, probably quicker.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of this morning the water has a very strong green tint to it, now this changes things so I assume this is a algae bloom now ? I haven’t changed my lighting and my phosphates and nitrates are low, only thing I have done is fed phytoplankton to the tank a few times only 2ml but not even everyday

You have PO4 and nitrates, you just can’t get a reading as the algae is feeding on them.

If no corals turn the lights off, if corals try and reduce the light period, water changes and a very fine filter wool would be my first steps.

OP
OP
Kylepope2020

Kylepope2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have PO4 and nitrates, you just can’t get a reading as the algae is feeding on them.

If no corals turn the lights off, if corals try and reduce the light period, water changes and a very fine filter wool would be my first steps.
My phosphates always stay at 0.01-0 and nitrates always stay at 5ppm the nitrates never change, and the tank had no changes prior to this happening other than cleaning my glass which I do every few days anyway

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates always stay at 0.01-0 and nitrates always stay at 5ppm the nitrates never change, and the tank had no changes prior to this happening other than cleaning my glass which I do every few days anyway

what tests are you using?

for a new tank to always stay at those lvls seems a little unlikely.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back