What would cause water to go cloudy over night

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is tested with the Salifert kit

so next to impossible to know it’s .01, with that test I can only tell when it’s reading too high, not being rude but you must have perfect eye sight to be able to read the salifert PO4 test at .01.

OP
OP
Kylepope2020

Kylepope2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so next to impossible to know it’s .01, with that test I can only tell when it’s reading to high, not being rude but you must have perfect eye sight to be able to read the salifert PO4 test at .01.
It is next to impossible I agree I did say 0.01 - 0 when it class it as 0.01 it has a very very light tint of blue which is easily comparable with a vial of clean water

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is next to impossible I agree I did say 0.01 - 0 when it class it as 0.01 it has a very very light tint of blue which is easily comparable with a vial of clean water

If you need a separate vial to see the blue, then you are low, I would guess not as low as you think, but also remember the algae uses the PO4 and nitrate so when you test it will read lower than it really is.

Sounds you are not too bad, I would do the basis steps listed in this thread and hopefully it’ll get you back on track.

OP
OP
Kylepope2020

Kylepope2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals so will not be able to turn off lights, will reducing them really solve the issue the schedule has not been changed or altered the whole time I’ve had the tank I set it to David saxby programme and left it from day 1

so the way to solve this issue would be either run carbon or uv, large water changes and reduce lighting schedule ?

the only thing I do not understand is what would of brought this on with no changes to the tank.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals so will not be able to turn off lights, will reducing them really solve the issue the schedule has not been changed or altered the whole time I’ve had the tank I set it to David saxby programme and left it from day 1

so the way to solve this issue would be either run carbon or uv, large water changes and reduce lighting schedule ?

the only thing I do not understand is what would of brought this on with no changes to the tank.

No one thing is going to fix it, a few small changes will, you can leave the lights and try the other options, but corals do fine without lights for 2-3 days, a reduction can help, you may have the lights on too long anyway.

Try the other steps first, you may need rowaphos or some other PO4 remover as water changes don’t really reduce PO4 that much as it will be in your rocks, removing the P.O.4 from the water will then allow the PO4 from the rocks to release.

If my tank, I would change the water to rid the tank of the algae, with filter floss, I use symec filter felt to get a good fine filter.

Try and remove as much as you can as if you leave it in there it is full of nitrates and PO4 so you make the problem worse.

As to how it got like this, a number of small things added together is enough, it is what happens so don’t blame yourself, tanks get algae.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I told you how to easily solve it. 5 micron felt socks with clear up.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will go out and get some today thanks, I assume I’d have to take out my clarisea and replace it with the 5 micron felt sock for the time being till it clears up ?
I’d just put them under your drains. You can even zip tie them temporarily. Not sure where your drains are located, but shouldn’t be too hard to get to.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back