What would everyone pick for a cheap tank to get back involved thats reef ready?

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on the fence to go full custom after my sabbatical or if should just get something that’s nice and does the job and is cheap before I take the real plunge. So I guess I’m looking for options on a 75 reef ready that’s of decent quality and looks good. Yes I’d like to have Starphire but I can always transfer everything over. I figure the tank would be cheaper if I don’t go custom and then I have more money for equipment. Can go to custom down the line.

appreciate thoughts ideas please

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would do one of two things:

Option A) Buy a 75 gallon, drill it myself and silicone an overflow in. As cheap as it comes (unless you buy a setup used), you'll feel great knowing that you didn't waste any money and can use it on livestock.
Option B) Go Custom and get the exact tank you want. In the grand scheme of the hobby, the tank is one of the least expensive pieces of equipment and if you were thinking of going custom at some point, just do it now so you can enjoy it even longer :)

I know those are two extremes, but my guess would be that if you went with a middle ground option, you would always feel like you should have just saved your money if you're already planning on upgrading in the future or that for only a little more, you could have gotten the tank you really wanted and won't have to go through the hassle of transferring tanks when the time comes.

Just my 2 cents.

Back