What would happen if you mixed 2/3 Special Grade with 1/3 Fiji Pink?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to setup my new S-850 tank. I was initially planning to go 100% Special Grade Arogonite sand but now I'm thinking about trying a mix of 2/3 Special Grade and 1/3 Fiji Pink. I'm just wandering if the Fiji Pink would just sift down to the bottom over time?

What say y'all Wise Guys?

Thanks.

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Murph... is exactly correct. Over time the finer will sink. I have done the same thing as you propose on mixing the types only I mixed it 50/50. I have a couple sand sifting goby's that keep it stirred up all the time so most areas of my tank stays well mixed. There are areas that don't get stirred by them very much and the finer grade definitely sinks. Not a big deal to me. It still looks great.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Murph... is exactly correct. Over time the finer will sink. I have done the same thing as you propose on mixing the types only I mixed it 50/50. I have a couple sand sifting goby's that keep it stirred up all the time so most areas of my tank stays well mixed. There are areas that don't get stirred by them very much and the finer grade definitely sinks. Not a big deal to me. It still looks great.
Did you have any issues with your gobies getting scratched/cut up with the special grade? I'm 3 months new and originally bought the special grade but later when I was buying more startup stuff I asked about the special grade and gobies because I was concerned it might cut them. The store person recommended Fiji pink instead. I have no problem with the Fiji and it probably looks better because I only have a 5g and it's a smaller grain but I have this unused bag of special grade sitting here begging me to be used. I like the look of the courser sand I have seen in some member's tanks and thought about tossing some in for the surface but I have gobies and don't want them injured. I'm assuming, in this case, there is a difference between course and sharp? It sounds like your gobies are fine.

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any issues with your gobies getting scratched/cut up with the special grade? I'm 3 months new and originally bought the special grade but later when I was buying more startup stuff I asked about the special grade and gobies because I was concerned it might cut them. The store person recommended Fiji pink instead. I have no problem with the Fiji and it probably looks better because I only have a 5g and it's a smaller grain but I have this unused bag of special grade sitting here begging me to be used. I like the look of the courser sand I have seen in some member's tanks and thought about tossing some in for the surface but I have gobies and don't want them injured. I'm assuming, in this case, there is a difference between course and sharp? It sounds like your gobies are fine.
I have never seen any injuries to my gobies which I've had for over 2 years now. They pick up mouthfuls of the sand and pile it in front of their caves everyday. It is amazing to me the chunks of shells and sand they can move around. It almost seems they are having fun moving around the bigger chunks of shells. I have a good video of them in action in a different tank that I will try to post later today when I get home. Fiji Pink is an excellent overall choice when it comes to sand.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this mix 50/50 with no problems in my 80. Then again I stir my sand bed at weekly cleanings. Never settles out like some have mentioned. I went straight Fiji in my red sea 625 because Bezos is selling it for 14.99 a bag...

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen any injuries to my gobies which I've had for over 2 years now. They pick up mouthfuls of the sand and pile it in front of their caves everyday. It is amazing to me the chunks of shells and sand they can move around. It almost seems they are having fun moving around the bigger chunks of shells. I have a good video of them in action in a different tank that I will try to post later today when I get home. Fiji Pink is an excellent overall choice when it comes to sand.
Thank you and I would love to see the video. :) I'm glad I can put my special grade to use and it will give my pistol shrimp something more challenging to move around. Added bonus... of it's heavier maybe it will tire him out. That little guy never sleeps! Haha.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back