What would you add, if anything?

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, 200 total gallon tank nearing 1 year mark. Was a rough couple of months starting from dry rock with typical algae issues, dinos, etc. All that has passed and paramters have stabalized.

Current fish stock - 1 blue tang (still juvenile, ~2.5-3"), 1 scopas tang (~3-3.5"), 1 coral beauty, 2 bi-color chromis, 4 green chromis (6 originally), 2 engineer goby's (cool @ ~8" each), 2 lyretail anthias, 2 black storm clowns, 1 spotted madarin, 2 springer damsels. (Total count 18 fish)

Assorted CUC including several species of snails, emerald crabs and asst hermits. Coral banded shrimp.

Recently added SPS (2 birdsnest species, multiple acros and some digitatas - and a couple I am not 100% sure what they other than 'sps') that are starting to grow. Assorted softies (zoas, acans, green star, fireworks polyps, etc.) that have been in here for at least 6 months and growing well - the softies mostly all survived my dino outbreak - I did lose 2 smaller goni's.

My question is, would you add any other fish to this tank? I do not want to overstock the tank, but I would definitely like as many as 'possible'! The only fish losses i've encountered from day 1 was 2 green chromis - just 'disappeard' - never found a corpse in tank or on floor, so I am not real sure where they went, but thy are not here. The bold marked fish in list above have been here since the beginning and all others have been in tank at least 5 months.

I ask because my initial 'dream' stock list looks nothing like what I ended up with - for several reasons! 1) - I let my kids all pick a lot of the 'starter' fish above (with nudges from dad). 2) My old tank (pre-divorce) was near and dear to myself and my only (at that time) daughter and she had a very specific list (blue tang, clowns, yellow tang and coral beauty), and 3) what is/was actually available/affordable. So after initial stocking and cycling, I added the clowns tang and coral beauty slowly - but found quickly that yellow tang was just not going to work out and went with scopas tang (which I enjoy, but still miss the yellow). The anthias were a what the heck kind of pick. The spotted mandarin was a 'replacement' to original tank as well. Pre divorce tank was considerably smaller than this one (75g) and was tore down in 2013. Lesson kids - don't get married! Took me 12 years to get 'back' to where I was! (I'm joking about not getting married - that's on you....)

Just want more color/fish if possible and wanted some thoughts on what you all think!

Thanks

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a species I had hoped to hear. I have never owned them and they are beautiful. My fear here - no top to my tank and really don't want one!?!

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow wrasse, always out hunting sleeping in the sand at night. Doesn't get too large
IMG_20230107_180026151.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_180026151.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellow option as I MISS my yellow tang! (absolutly refuse to pay that $ though!) How deep a sand bed is required? Mine is relatively shallow @~1.5" - however, there are some spots that rise up from the currents that are probably 2.5" deep (and more shallow in other areas).

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellow option as I MISS my yellow tang! (absolutly refuse to pay that $ though!) How deep a sand bed is required? Mine is relatively shallow @~1.5" - however, there are some spots that rise up from the currents that are probably 2.5" deep (and more shallow in other areas).
Sounds about what I have.

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a character! Very friendly and always comes over when I set close to the tank
Ok - so a 1+ on this guy! Are they a 1 and done species? Or is 2 possible? Know anythning about how they would interact with other wrasse? (I will obviously research more - just picking brains rihgt now!)

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - so a 1+ on this guy! Are they a 1 and done species? Or is 2 possible? Know anythning about how they would interact with other wrasse? (I will obviously research more - just picking brains rihgt now!)
I believe only one in a tank, but maybe someone will correct me and I will get another!

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ones would you recommend? How many? Again, do not want to overstock the tank! But do feel I have room for a few more small-medium fish.
I have the melanarus wrasse below. Hard to answer the how many or overstock question, depends on ability to handle the additional bio load and knowing if the fish will have some room for itself.

wrasse.png

OP
OP
JDCagley

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the melanarus wrasse below. Hard to answer the how many or overstock question, depends on ability to handle the additional bio load and knowing if the fish will have some room for itself.

wrasse.png
Bautiful fish there. I am confident my filtration is ok and soon-to-have upgrades of new skimmer and fuge - I would imagine that I will be ok. My current skimmer was from a 75g that I had oversized for a 120g. Well, this tank is total ~200 (probably closer to 185) and this skimmer does ok - but it is almost 20 years old. I have slight issues with nitrates and phosphates, but not to where it causes me stress. I am running about 20 ppm NO3 and .15 ish PO4. I have been able to manage (and maintain these values) with water changes and feed schedule. I anticipate a new (better) skimmer and fuge will also keep this in check.

Back