What Would You Do? - Aiptasia Tank Takover

BRS
BRS

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would take a siphon to the tank and suck them out. A smallish tube in a larger hose like 1/2 inch CPVC. Most of the ones in the sand would come right out because they aren't attached to anything. You cant get them all out of the system that way but you can severely beat them back. Even the larger ones on the rocks can be damaged into submission if you do it every few days once they come out fully again. Then other means can be used.

Steph72

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I feel your pain…my tank has quickly become overrun. I wouldn’t waste money on berghias if you’re looking to get out of the hobby. They take a very long time to work. I won’t say how much money I’ve spent on them recently and I see no progress at all. As far as peppermints or other fish that are known to eat them, this is always an “if” situation. I wish I had more constructive advice but I’m also stuck in this frustrating and sad situation. Sending good vibes your way…and know it’s not your fault, this happens to the best of us. Aiptasia and cockroaches will be the only two things to survive a global apocalypse.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I let my tank go also and I had hundreds of aptasia so I bought 3 file fish two days went by and nothing . I was getting frustrated then day three my aptasia started to disappear one week and they where all gone. Then they jumped over my overflows and ate all of them in my over flows . Then I got red flat worms I hit them with flT worm exit and they nuked my tank. One clown survived.

willpower

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would take out all the sand, suck all the sand out. Then get some large matted filefish. Berghia work too but you need to follow the directions and buy alot of the medium or large ones. Berghia has worked for me every time 100% of the time but I needed to buy the larger ones (maybe 1 large for every 10g) and put them in the sump as well.

Then once all the aptasia are gone I would buy new sand, rinse really well and let it culture up in the sump and transfer it back into the sand.

I think that most tanks will get aptasia, if you like your tank you shouldn't shut it down. If you start up and have aptasia again you would probably not be too happy.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Steph72

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would take out all the sand, suck all the sand out. Then get some large matted filefish. Berghia work too but you need to follow the directions and buy alot of the medium or large ones. Berghia has worked for me every time 100% of the time but I needed to buy the larger ones (maybe 1 large for every 10g) and put them in the sump as well.

Then once all the aptasia are gone I would buy new sand, rinse really well and let it culture up in the sump and transfer it back into the sand.

I think that most tanks will get aptasia, if you like your tank you shouldn't shut it down. If you start up and have aptasia again you would probably not be too happy.
You make a good point. I’m still hoping the berghias help. I put 50 mediums in a few weeks ago. I’m giving it a few more weeks before taking drastic measures. They’re just so expensive!

Tidal Gardens
BRS

How many different food items do you feed your fish?

• Only one food

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • 2 Foods

Votes: 32 9.6%
  • 3 Foods

Votes: 79 23.8%
  • 4 Foods

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • 5+ Different Foods

Votes: 118 35.5%
  • 10+ Different Foods

Votes: 36 10.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!