What Would You Do? - Aiptasia Tank Takover

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a siphon to the tank and suck them out. A smallish tube in a larger hose like 1/2 inch CPVC. Most of the ones in the sand would come right out because they aren't attached to anything. You cant get them all out of the system that way but you can severely beat them back. Even the larger ones on the rocks can be damaged into submission if you do it every few days once they come out fully again. Then other means can be used.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain…my tank has quickly become overrun. I wouldn’t waste money on berghias if you’re looking to get out of the hobby. They take a very long time to work. I won’t say how much money I’ve spent on them recently and I see no progress at all. As far as peppermints or other fish that are known to eat them, this is always an “if” situation. I wish I had more constructive advice but I’m also stuck in this frustrating and sad situation. Sending good vibes your way…and know it’s not your fault, this happens to the best of us. Aiptasia and cockroaches will be the only two things to survive a global apocalypse.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my tank go also and I had hundreds of aptasia so I bought 3 file fish two days went by and nothing . I was getting frustrated then day three my aptasia started to disappear one week and they where all gone. Then they jumped over my overflows and ate all of them in my over flows . Then I got red flat worms I hit them with flT worm exit and they nuked my tank. One clown survived.

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would take out all the sand, suck all the sand out. Then get some large matted filefish. Berghia work too but you need to follow the directions and buy alot of the medium or large ones. Berghia has worked for me every time 100% of the time but I needed to buy the larger ones (maybe 1 large for every 10g) and put them in the sump as well.

Then once all the aptasia are gone I would buy new sand, rinse really well and let it culture up in the sump and transfer it back into the sand.

I think that most tanks will get aptasia, if you like your tank you shouldn't shut it down. If you start up and have aptasia again you would probably not be too happy.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If compatible with your tank I would get an aptasia eating file fish and some peppermint shrimp (though make sure you get the real deal). The file fish are super interesting to watch PLUS they eat aptasia!

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take out all the sand, suck all the sand out. Then get some large matted filefish. Berghia work too but you need to follow the directions and buy alot of the medium or large ones. Berghia has worked for me every time 100% of the time but I needed to buy the larger ones (maybe 1 large for every 10g) and put them in the sump as well.

Then once all the aptasia are gone I would buy new sand, rinse really well and let it culture up in the sump and transfer it back into the sand.

I think that most tanks will get aptasia, if you like your tank you shouldn't shut it down. If you start up and have aptasia again you would probably not be too happy.
You make a good point. I’m still hoping the berghias help. I put 50 mediums in a few weeks ago. I’m giving it a few more weeks before taking drastic measures. They’re just so expensive!

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the best success with filefish. However, after the aiptasia were gone the file fish started nipping soft corals. When I took the filefish out the aiptasia slowly started coming back.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep there was a guy on here that said his peppermint kept them in check and when he died they came back.

arod0814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is almost 8 years old. To be honest, I'm not buying any new fish and kinda letting it run its course so that I can do away with it. It's gorgeous and can be a lot of fun, but over the years, it's just problem after problem that I can't be bothered with now.

Anyway, here we are today. I still want the tank to look good for as much time left I'm gonna have it running, but the aiptasia is just out of control. I've tried the following:

• Peppermint shrimp (they died)
  • F Aiptasia (seemed to do really nothing and/or made the problem worse)
  • Berhgia Nudibranch. I might've not bought enough? Again, they just died after a month or so with plenty of aiptasia left.
  • Aiptasia RX
Honestly, if you were in my position, what would you do? Use F Aiptasia and hope I get every single one without any of them spawning new ones? Buy a CBB? Buy more Berghias (this time like 20 of them)

image1 (1).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg
Peppermint shrimp. I had a really bad case of if since I was away for 4 months on work. Wife took care of the tank but only the basics. Feed tank, clean glass and minor water changes. I lost most of my corals. I tried aptasia x and other products until a friend told me, drop 6 peppermint shrimp in there and you’ll see. I was so annoyed of the situation that I put 12 shrimp 3 to 4 months later. Tank completely cleared. Now I’m getting my water back to stable so I can start adding corals again. Good luck.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread can be a useful learning example for the masses regarding takeover by any unwanted reef organism

Let's say we could time jump back to the very first aiptasia, absolute #1, alpha anemone on Op's tank pic #1

Let's say we've hopped back to 2019 and are looking at a perfect reef, perfect corals, and we see only one hint of the wiry tentacles jutting out from the bottom of the rock

Just one, the primo. The audrey II

What we you do given this threads hindsight? Given the last 25 years of help/aiptasia takeover posts what in the world can someone who is resolved to win do?

What should we be telling owners of an aiptasia tank to do? Should we tell them to inject, or get a filefish, or get peppermint shrimp, or anything indirect and final?

What should a new reefer do on aiptasia #1

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMunk

My post isn't directed to your thread it was just the first search return for aiptasia pics. My post is that the hobby teaches us to do indirect actions that put our investments in jeopardy and its fun to consider aiptasia control oppositely from how the masses do it. For some reason, the masses have advised the same options for decades... Anyone sawing their rock would be deemed extreme

What if we tell a new keeper not allow the first anemone, to learn scape control resolve right then vs any inject/animal/ indirect option

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back