What would you do if you had the house to yourself for a year, and suddenly could make as bug a mess as possible?

Okay, which of these interest you, why? (Pick up to 3)

• Planted marine tank with lots of inverts

• NPS tank with deep sand bed and jawfish or garden eels

• Lagoon with RFA and LPS

• Industrial size phytoplankton system with a tank full of filter feeders

• Predator tank with snowflake eel and soft corals with tunze wave box

• SPS frag system

• Clown Harem

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, anyone see an issue with putting halimeda type algae in with the puffer? Read online they eat some algae in the wild, but I have had trouble finding specific/trustworthy sources

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s - Two aquablue specials in the back over the mangroves, one coral plus, four blue plus, and then one more coral plus.

747EDE68-E5FE-4844-B4DA-9FB962770D20.jpeg

Added some more rock. Also 6 mangroves and a few caulerpa, some turtle grass, various halimeda, and two test corals.

I cut some plastic frag rack material and zip tied the mangroves to it.
BDB06DBD-0D2E-4BDD-840A-1D1AB10F1088.jpeg

7AF36C45-2175-482C-8669-6F3F5E5CB9BE.jpeg

I then sort of messily added the extra rock and algae. Will see how it settles in. I know the macro often has a mind of its own in settling out and I want to let it fill in before I try to control its placement.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so all those zoas above? Puffer ate them in under 12 hours

I also acquired some (fortunately cheap) rock flower anemone. He’s eaten 4/7 in about 10 hours. I managed to move 1 back to the main display but the other 2 will likely sustain foot injuries in their current locations so I will let them be. Maybe I can rescue them tomorrow.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo. Some sad news, the puffer went carpet surfing over the weekend. I know all fish can jump but I had the mangroves on the tank so was going lidless in the short term. My mistake. I feel awful about the whole incident, terribly guilty, and compounded by the fact that it was my wife’s fish...

So yesterday I cut a custom acrylic lid that seals the tank quite solidly and moved the mangroves to the main display.

To get me out of my funk the wife took me to our LFS and we officially stocked the predator tank with four critters.

Meet:

El Greco
22B2C010-462D-458D-8F93-6DE8709824A5.jpeg

Mufasa
E98CE7A0-1779-4444-91CB-B42AB27A3313.jpeg

Ollivander
F14D248E-C6AE-4C80-9864-C2E6951DC235.jpeg

And Mushu
C32E95EC-78F5-425D-8BDC-C2581647AFDE.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was/is a fun thread to read. that is the problem with fish tanks and reefing if i had al hte time space and $$ i would have
a nice size reef ( i have)
a nano RFA tank ( I have )
a 300+ gallon fish only setup ( I hope to have soon-ish)
a sea horse tank
a macro tank
a FW planted tank

bummer about the dog face :(

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Mushu finally started eating (at least that I could catch him doing). And this less than 12h after he tried to go “carpet surfing” on me this AM with the top ON!

So I got some fresh squid from the local deli and cut it up into slightly smaller than postage stamp size pieces. He would not take them from my tongs, but once I had backed away from the tank he stuck about 1/2 his body length out of his hidey hole and chowed down.

3$ for 3 squid carapaces
978CA4B7-FFFD-4A34-A2F3-16B3E22DE306.jpeg

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was/is a fun thread to read. that is the problem with fish tanks and reefing if i had al hte time space and $$ i would have
a nice size reef ( i have)
a nano RFA tank ( I have )
a 300+ gallon fish only setup ( I hope to have soon-ish)
a sea horse tank
a macro tank
a FW planted tank

bummer about the dog face :(
Thanks! Losing him was hard bc of how much the Mrs. loved him. She has a thing for puffers. I hear you on all the tanks. Would love to do a fish room like you described with everything plumbed to central filtration. Would be soooooo stable!!!

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have thoughts on a good sand shifting/sifting fish for this tank? Just something to turn it over a little. Somewhere I read re bicolor goatfish. Any wrasse candidates? Do harlequin tusks sleep in the sand ?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand burrowing wrasses wouldn't be of too much help only because from what I've heard they sleep in the same spot each night... Wrasse owners please confirm this.

Gobies suck, they hate being alive in my care xD I do know a whole lot of people love them though.
I would strongly recommend Cerith and/or nassarius snails if you need you're sand stirred. they are wonderful at it and the ceriths turn themselves back over when they fall!

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand burrowing wrasses wouldn't be of too much help only because from what I've heard they sleep in the same spot each night... Wrasse owners please confirm this.

Gobies suck, they hate being alive in my care xD I do know a whole lot of people love them though.
I would strongly recommend Cerith and/or nassarius snails if you need you're sand stirred. they are wonderful at it and the ceriths turn themselves back over when they fall!
Thanks this was sort of my thought as well. I am certainly NOT a wrasse expert, in fact I don’t have any currently.

I do love the TUSK tho :)

I’m worried snails would become prey too easily between the eel, trigger, and puffer. Now my tank IS plumbed to a larger reef with a healthy snail population so there will be some sand burrowing snails naturally.

Any other ideas?

Btw thanks for your input

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
This is a toughie lol
I would say then that gobies would be your best bet, I'm the only person I know of who's had any major trouble with them lol If you want to be daring, you could try sand dollars per chance... I've had them before and they do a good job, they just don't tend to last too long sadly ;Facepalm
To be completely honest, just having animals to clean the sand is never sufficient in the long run, I have barely any fish at the moment and I need to siphon my sand frequently (much more frequently than I do lol)

Back