What would you do? New Reefer 900 with ich.

Bosco83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re tank is looking great! Thanks for the response I might just order a large uv light and keep feeding good foods and see what happens.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well actually. I did eventually lose the mimic tang discussed above. Since that point I installed UV and an Oxydator. I try to feed very well, buy fresh clams and make my own frozen food. I also buy live black worms to feed and a couple times a week will feed pellets soaked in fish oil, amino acids, vitamins etc.

Beyond the mimic the only other fish Ive lost in this tank are a Midas Blenny for unknown reasons - never showed any spots just disappeared (or jumped and dog found him), a Lyretail Anthias who also disappeared and was getting picked on by the male Lyretail and a Mandarin who I could not get to eat.

I currently have 18 fish in the tank (I think). Only one currently shows any spots and its a blue hippo. He eats like a pig and Im hoping will develop an immunity. Other than two clowns, All other fish have never showed any spots and the two clowns that did have since been clean. All seem very healthy.

I am not running a QT for fish or coral. I do dip coral but fish go right in after acclamation. Only pest from coral that Im aware of has been Aiptasia that came in on one frag. I hit it with Aiptasia X immediately after noticing and haven't seen since but I suppose I could have it in the tank. I currently have somewhere around 200 coral frags (counting every little frag).

Doing a QT the correct way would no doubt be the best thing but even though I have the space and budget I don't think I would be able to stick to the strict methods required. I know I don't have time... Taking care of this tank is all I have time for. to set up and maintain a QT and QT Every snail. Every coral frag. QT for the required time and every time you add something to the QT the clock starts over. It doesn't work for me. I know I would eventually add something to soon like you did and Id end up where I'm already at. Obviously there are more parasites and diseases out there beyond Ich so I am also at risk for that. But then those also exist in the ocean. Tank has been wet for about 3.5 months, Hopefully my methods of UV, feeding well and maintaining stable parameters will continue to work. But I know I will always have Ich in the tank.
Your tank is looking really good. I totally agree with your QT thoughts.
My 900 is up and running with some live rock. I will have some coral I'm sure but I am going to concentrate on fish.
I have thought for quite a while about a QT but am not doing one.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back