What would you say is the rarest fish in the hobby?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint angels ..
$30000 for a fish that can fit in the palm of your hand .

something says it it were me , it should stay in the ocean .
Same as buying a rainbow splice frag .
If either of them were to die.
that would be similar to lending your brand new Ferrari to Young drivers for training use .

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder how anyone can drop 30000 on a fish. Or 4000 on a torch. I would have a heart attack before even getting it then I would need 6 months off work before I would leave the house... Mabey its just me but that fish really doesn't look like its worth 30000. Ive kept nicer looking freshwater angels.
in the case of fish its the rarity, complications of collection and demand.
you or i may never be intrigued by such an expensive fish but rest assured there is somebody out there that is cash flush and considers it a point of pride to have something nobody else does.
a large bounce mushroom (the size of your palm) was listed for $7000 usd when i was at macna in 2017, by the end of the show it was gone.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been on the look out. Haven’t seen one yet. ‍

C21054D0-069A-4842-8361-1AEF45E4DA2F.gif

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger Angelfish was considered pretty darn rare for a while, but I think they are slightly more common now. I know Jake Adams has (or had) one.

1642180535755.png

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint angels ..
$30000 for a fish that can fit in the palm of your hand .

something says it it were me , it should stay in the ocean .
Same as buying a rainbow splice frag .
If either of them were to die.
that would be similar to lending your brand new Ferrari to Young drivers for training use .

To me its like art and the guy in this video says it perfectly

IMO its a great representation of how far science and technology have come to just discover that fish let alone collect it alive and keep it alive for 10+ years.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS gets in odd things... pics for reference...

nine lined goby they had at one point..

Screen-Shot-2013-09-18-at-9.58.21-PM.png

They had some of those mini dart fish before..

images

They currently have one of these right now... which apparently isn't even officially named yet... Amikami goby

61865_5e6f8764beb0e.jpg

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be more specific as to what is rare to you - Is it high priced, or just not seen in the hobby regularly but attainable by a non-billionaire hobbyist?

High Price is going to be the fish in the original OP post, Abei Angel, Personatus.

Rarest - Is it the Rabbi tang I have? A sailfin tang with a whole thru the middle of the fish...I mean it doesn't get much rarer than a one of kind fish.
Rabbi Tang 4.jpg

Personatus were pretty rare till Karen Brittain successfully bred them and then we ended up with them in local hobbyists tanks. Abei was never seen, and then ended in a local hobbyist tank. I saw an albino Imperator Angel once, didn't draw the price tag of an Abei - But never even heard of another one again.

The Dejongi Gramma used to be a rare fish, then fish started coming out of Cuba and they were successfully bred in captivity.

Dr Seuss Soapfish - Not my cup of tea, but not something seen everyday.

A rare fish in my book is the Colini Angel - A couple hundred dollar fish, maybe 100+ fish a year come into the hobby. And none of them last in captivity... So finding one that's been in a tank 6+ months is a real rarity.

My personal choice for a rare fish.... The Resplendens Angel. It used to be in the hobby till the late 80's. It comes from only one island atoll, Ascension Island. An Island that the military took over and has kicked the public out for any and all purposes. So this once lovely lil fish for the hobby is now in the upper echelance of rare fish in the hobby.

Dave B

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder how anyone can drop 30000 on a fish. Or 4000 on a torch. I would have a heart attack before even getting it then I would need 6 months off work before I would leave the house... Mabey its just me but that fish really doesn't look like its worth 30000. Ive kept nicer looking freshwater angels.
I wonder if DOA policies are non-existent with these or it has to be picked up, no shipping allowed.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if DOA policies are non-existent with these or it has to be picked up, no shipping allowed.
The most recent pair of $40k angels sold were hand delivered to the customer.

I know of another high priced angel where the customer was forced to come pick it up in person - No shipping. So he took a ride in his private jet and picked up the angel. I think he also ended up picking some other fish and corals, so it was a good sales technique on the part of the fish store.

Dave B

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most recent pair of $40k angels sold were hand delivered to the customer.

I know of another high priced angel where the customer was forced to come pick it up in person - No shipping. So he took a ride in his private jet and picked up the angel. I think he also ended up picking some other fish and corals, so it was a good sales technique on the part of the fish store.

Dave B
I love the part... "took a ride in his private jet". I would love to have this lifestyle for a week. Those fish probably had a better flight on that plane than I ever had. Talk about traveling first class! I can just imagine those fish in their baggies (probably accompanied by one of the employees) looking out the window going... "Man this is a sweet trip. Better than the one we took to the store". LOL I bet the purchasers have to sign a sorts of waivers, etc.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back