What would you use for fiji cube 81 gal?

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my eye on the fiji cube 81 gallon. Its got the same footprint as the next smaller tank, and makes up the difference in height. My thinking is the bigger one will mean I have a broader variety of fish/corals to consider down the line, and the varying light penetration should mean I can have corals with quite different lighting needs.

I'm a little stuck on what lights to go with, though. Would a pair of g4 radions do it? Ai primes? Ill probably be using a t5 hybrid setup eventually but the LEDs seem a lot easier to mess up.. What would you do?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max 800, ideal closer to 400 but I don't really have a realistic sense for what things cost yet honestly

If you are looking at just LED's, two prime 16hd's should work and you can add another down the road if you want or add them to a reefbrite or t5 fixture. Red sea also makes equivalent lights. 3 kessil a160we's or these in a hybrid would work too (or two a360x or we). Reef brite has a 36 inch led fixture that can work too.

If you want a simple plug and play fixture, the 36" XHO LED Light Kit from reef brite is on sale now at bulk reef supply. This is the easiest option.

There are other lights but much of it depends on how you want to mount them. I can list more if you'd like.

OP
OP
A

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking at just LED's, two prime 16hd's should work and you can add another down the road if you want or add them to a reefbrite or t5 fixture. Red sea also makes equivalent lights. 3 kessil a160we's or these in a hybrid would work too (or two a360x or we). Reef brite has a 36 inch led fixture that can work too.

If you want a simple plug and play fixture, the 36" XHO LED Light Kit from reef brite is on sale now at bulk reef supply. This is the easiest option.

There are other lights but much of it depends on how you want to mount them. I can list more if you'd like.
Beautiful, exactly the info I was after. Thank you so much for your input! I've been lurking on ebay trying to snag some kessil 360wes or some g4 radions. Slim pickings it seems.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of options, I would probably use orphek or3 strips over xho if only using the strips because they have more colored leds, not just white and blue. Nicobar also has ones that are more expensive but controllable as well (too expensive though imo)
Reefi uno are a great alternative for ecotech radions and are well liked, you can also use them in conjunction with led bars if you want to add some light spread

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kessils are great too, single point does make light spread an issue and the a360s arent that powerful either, amazing shimmer though. great depending on coral choice.
I actually have the same sized tank just ended up using a 6 bulb t5 (giesemann) and a vitamini led strip but again many options for lighting

OP
OP
A

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kessils are great too, single point does make light spread an issue and the a360s arent that powerful either, amazing shimmer though. great depending on coral choice
Can you expand on 'depending on coral choice'? Which option would be the best to grow a mixed reef, keep a bubble tip anemone, acros?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you use t5, which LED you choose won't make that much difference. T5 will provide the spectrum and coverage to grow anything.

I would personally go with Kessil or Red Sea, just for the shimmer.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kessils are single point lighting and lower par (a360x) than other options at the price point. its not ideal for acros unless you use multiple (3 or more) or use them with t5.
The shimmer is great though and they work amazingly in conjunction with other lights

Back