What you opinion on the icecap 2k gyres?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 3ks have been in my tank for about 4 years, and there is no sign of rust at all, and all my corals and sps are doing great.
Are the magnets exposed on the 3k just like the 4K? Do you need me to send a picture for reference ?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the magnets exposed on the 3k just like the 4K? Do you need me to send a picture for reference ?
by "exposed magnet" do you mean the impeller magnet that looks like this?

If so that's pretty typical of any pump impeller. The magnet is coated and sealed against corrosion.

Or did you mean the magnet mount? I just checked my 2K mount and while it looks like "exposed" magnet it doesn't show any signs of corrosion or rust whatsoever. I'm fairly certain there is some sort of coating on the magnet to prevent that from happening.

A pic of yours might help clarify things further.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by "exposed magnet" do you mean the impeller magnet that looks like this?

If so that's pretty typical of any pump impeller. The magnet is coated and sealed against corrosion.

Or did you mean the magnet mount? I just checked my 2K mount and while it looks like "exposed" magnet it doesn't show any signs of corrosion or rust whatsoever. I'm fairly certain there is some sort of coating on the magnet to prevent that from happening.

A pic of yours might help clarify things further.
No i am not referring to the impeller shaft I’m talking about the actual wet side mounting. When I contacted Coralview they mentioned nothing about a coding on the magnet all they said to me was they do not know of any issues. Here’s three pictures of what I’m talking about first one is just the pump second one you can see the magnet with my finger next to it third when you can clearly see there’s no coating. It’s a ruff piece of metal.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from my own experience rust isn't as detrimental as most fear.
GFO is basically rust that people have been using to control phosphate.

Years ago when I did a tank move, I accidentally dropped a rock and broke it in half. What I found inside was a chunk of iron that had been encased in calcareous growth and it was all rusted inside. This rock had been in the tank for years and I didn't have any issues that I can attribute to rust or metal exposure.

So aside from having equipment failure due to rusting I think the risk if any to the tank is minimal.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to get this figured out so I can return them and get other pumps without exposed magnets if it’s gunna possibly cause issue in the future

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i am not referring to the impeller shaft I’m talking about the actual wet side mounting. When I contacted Coralview they mentioned nothing about a coding on the magnet all they said to me was they do not know of any issues. Here’s three pictures of what I’m talking about first one is just the pump second one you can see the magnet with my finger next to it third when you can clearly see there’s no coating. It’s a ruff piece of metal.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

my magnet mount on my 2K looks just like that as well and I don't see any signs of corrosion at all.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from my own experience rust isn't as detrimental as most fear.
GFO is basically rust that people have been using to control phosphate.

Years ago when I did a tank move, I accidentally dropped a rock and broke it in half. What I found inside was a chunk of iron that had been encased in calcareous growth and it was all rusted inside. This rock had been in the tank for years and I didn't have any issues that I can attribute to rust or metal exposure.

So aside from having equipment failure due to rusting I think the risk if any to the tank is minimal.
I like expensive corals and I don’t want any issues.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would not be so many threads on people finding rusted mp40s or probe holders or float sensor brackets causing issues that was corrected by removing said rust then would there be…

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there been running a 4K for year or more wanna pull this magnet out and check it for us :)

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have 1000-2000 dollar each acros in your tank? If you did like me would you take this chance

That tank WAS SPS dominated. Though I can't really compare values since SPS corals were a lot cheaper back then when I could buy whole colonies for $100-$200 :)

I just took the magnet from my gyre mount out and compared that to a pump impeller from my Eheim and honestly I couldn't really tell the difference as to whether one was coated or not?

At the end of the day though, it's your tank and your corals so I get the hesitation. All I can say is I haven't had any issues at all with mine. The magnets are completely free of corrosion and rust and they've been in my tank for months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back