What you opinion on the icecap 2k gyres?

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering purchasing two ice cap 2k gyres for my 30 foot 70 gallon tall. I like that I can place them close to the surface and get adequate flow throughout the tank. I was hoping two with my return pump would be enough and I can keep the tank looking clean with equipment barely visible

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pump itself as it puts out some serious flow for the size. What I hate is their controller app which was one the biggest PITA to set up and get it to work properly. Took me weeks to finally get it to work right. Once set up though it seems to work well.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got 2x 3k on a 6ft tank. love em. Like dhnguyen mentioned, the app is not really straight forward and need some reading to figure it out; but I ended up using preset random flow with power limiting at night. The lack of feed mode button on the dual controller was a problem, but resolved with with a pushbutton switch, a 2.5mm jack and a 9volt battery.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got 2x 3k on a 6ft tank. love em. Like dhnguyen mentioned, the app is not really straight forward and need some reading to figure it out; but I ended up using preset random flow with power limiting at night. The lack of feed mode button on the dual controller was a problem, but resolved with with a pushbutton switch, a 2.5mm jack and a 9volt battery.
My dual controller does have a feed mode. The challenge I had was trying to get it to connect to WIFI and not just bluetooth. Apparently the HYDROS app will not play well with WIFI networks that have no passwords. Took me weeks to figure this out since there was no mentioning of the password being a requirement on the setup instruction or in the app itself.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dual controller does have a feed mode. The challenge I had was trying to get it to connect to WIFI and not just bluetooth. Apparently the HYDROS app will not play well with WIFI networks that have no passwords. Took me weeks to figure this out since there was no mentioning of the password being a requirement on the setup instruction or in the app itself.
I was talking about a physical button on the box, not in the app. Unless they integrated it with new version of the box?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really move water. Fairly easy to clean / maintain. Like others said the app takes some getting used to. I've got a pair on a 4ft tank that's all LPS / zoas and I've got them turned down pretty far.

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...
Similarly considering 2 for a 60 gal. I was thinking each horizontally aside the center return to give forward to back flow.
Looks like Maxspec released their 2k and 4k's now too, and they have a physical controller fwiw.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle to come up with why anyone would have wanted WiFi or Bluetooth for the newer Icecap gyres.

I have an older 3K and I love it. It just has a simple, fairly easy to use, reliable controller.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New firmware for what ? The WE or hydros or icecap ?

jstephens1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Icecap It used to be limited to 4 wave modes

Tclason1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 2k and 4K. Love them. Also have had two large Jaebo gyre pumps for the same amount of time - about 1.5 years. They’ve performed equally well (quiet, water movement, reliable,etc).

Back