Whatchamacallit?

SouthernReefer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red and, a clear tubular do-hicky.
Clear dude looks hollow with an opened end . Directly above "redman" .
Red man looks like a little grape fruit juice cell.

20180630_224921.jpg

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red is bubble algae. Remove it without popping it. Popping it will make it spread.
Clear tube is a type of sponge. Harmless filter feeder. But if it bothers you, you can scrape it off.

OP
OP
SouthernReefer18

SouthernReefer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red is bubble algae. Remove it without popping it. Popping it will make it spread.
Clear tube is a type of sponge. Harmless filter feeder. But if it bothers you, you can scrape it off.
Well then...I guess this case is closed. Well done ma'am. Thanks.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then...I guess this case is closed. Well done ma'am. Thanks.
I've been wrong before... don't close it just yet. Lol someone more knowledgeable than me may chime in. I just had a green bubble like yours last week, so that's still fairly fresh in my memory. And I know bubble algae generally comes in red and green. So I figure it's a pretty good chance that's the red version.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red looks like red macro algae and the clear stuff might be a decaying sponge. The red macro algae should be removed because it will choke out corals. Although it is neat looking it can grow rather large. I also see what might be a glass anemone or some type of hitchhiker just to the right of the other stuff, I would keep an eye on it..

OP
OP
SouthernReefer18

SouthernReefer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red looks like red macro algae and the clear stuff might be a decaying sponge. The red macro algae should be removed because it will choke out corals. Although it is neat looking it can grow rather large. I also see what might be a glass anemone or some type of hitchhiker just to the right of the other stuff, I would keep an eye on it..
I accidentally came across a thread on here with some people talking about this glass anemone looking creature. They were saying that there are two different types and they look very similar but a good way to tell them apart is to poke one and if it retracts, that it is the poisonous type.

OP
OP
SouthernReefer18

SouthernReefer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wrong before... don't close it just yet. Lol someone more knowledgeable than me may chime in. I just had a green bubble like yours last week, so that's still fairly fresh in my memory. And I know bubble algae generally comes in red and green. So I figure it's a pretty good chance that's the red version.
Well dang gum maggie..its to late meow .
I've done removed it and gave it a new home down my sink drain.

OP
OP
SouthernReefer18

SouthernReefer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually..I see now what you was talking about with the "glass anemone" . I don't know about that booger but there is another on the far right side of the same rock that is thought to be poisonous. It does retract .

Back