Whatever happened to BRS Investigates?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the new BRSTv format is product spotlights/sales videos, top X tips, and livestreams. Now all that is cool for getting people into the hobby, but I find myself not really following what gets posted anymore on BRS YouTube. Within the last year, there's only really been a couple investigates. Any chance it'll come back, or is it just too much work to produce/low view count?

Thanks!

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they’ve eliminated their main competition now…
so, i doubt it.

(purely speculation, of course)
Holy smokes. I assumed you meant MD and checked check their website. What a BUMMER, they were the only place to source some items that BRS doesnt carry (Seems like some EU items end up there for us in the US).

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with weekly giveaways and the 10xpoints day they had monthly. Monopolies at there finest. Word on the street is that they're buying Neptune also now.

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with weekly giveaways and the 10xpoints day they had monthly. Monopolies at there finest. Word on the street is that they're buying Neptune also now.
Yeah, there's a giant megathread going today about it. There's some... interesting theories floating around in there.

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it off reef2reef. Why do you think they chase that ugly orange color for their new stuff, and built a light to exact BRS standards.

They'll never take away amazon or ebay away from me. Don't get me wrong I'm a BRS fan, watched the videos before there was a brs.

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it off reef2reef. Why do you think they chase that ugly orange color for their new stuff, and built a light to exact BRS standards.

They'll never take away amazon or ebay away from me. Don't get me wrong I'm a BRS fan, watched the videos before there was a brs.
I guess we'll wait and see how it plays out. I hope they don't change things like the videos etc, but I also wish they sourced more 'niche' items as well, as MD used to do. I cant imagine they would just stop selling Neptune competitors (lights, controllers, etc).

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were really interest in the consumer any longer, they'd twist Ecotech into some better pricing.

When's does thir patent end on those pumps?

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows. I think the BRS investigates got a lot more people into this hobby. If they lose that touch/their videos. They will lose customers, I'm sure they do generally want to help people. But they have been skipping a few beats and they shouldnt. If there wasn't a YouTube there would be no BRS..

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows. I think the BRS investigates got a lot more people into this hobby. If they lose that touch/their videos. They will lose customers, I'm sure they do generally want to help people. But they have been skipping a few beats and they shouldnt. If there wasn't a YouTube there would be no BRS..
I'll just hope they've been busy with the merger and get back to it. I like using their videos as baselines for my new items when I dont have the tools to test everything myself.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their videos really helped me when i first started. They asked all the questions you're afraid to ask in public in case you get shouted down in flames as you don't have the knowledge, and they put it into practise.

But like the op said and i agree, i'm a big fan of BRStv but i'm watching less and less of the videos that are just advertisements.

I suppose there is only so much they can investigate but they're not there yet.

i would like to see them go down the line of educating in cultivating lots of different live foods how to do it. Even how to raising fry etc.

They did a new fancy type of educational videos, corals and the importance of nitrate, that was good, but they only did a couple..

hopefully when the business settles down they might have a clear direction

OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to get into the business side of things in this thread; there's a big mega-thread about that. But that should not affect the video folks aside from Ryan himself.

My impression is rather that they've decided to change formats and move away from the more sciencey/investigates stuff for a different reason. Which is unfortunate -- if you look at some of their earlier ones like the "does increasing Alkalinity lead to more growth?" you can see that they put their resources to use to do experiments many would not be able to reproduce at home and really move knowledge of the hobby forward.

Did anyone watch the livestreams about the future of BRStv? Did they shed some light on whether investigates stuff was coming back?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate the ad videos, the few I’ve watch come across as promotional videos rather than the good vs the bad points of the product…I can only see this going one way now, either Ryan goes along with the new way or he gets offered a big pay out to leave.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to get into the business side of things in this thread; there's a big mega-thread about that. But that should not affect the video folks aside from Ryan himself.

My impression is rather that they've decided to change formats and move away from the more sciencey/investigates stuff for a different reason. Which is unfortunate -- if you look at some of their earlier ones like the "does increasing Alkalinity lead to more growth?" you can see that they put their resources to use to do experiments many would not be able to reproduce at home and really move knowledge of the hobby forward.

Did anyone watch the livestreams about the future of BRStv? Did they shed some light on whether investigates stuff was coming back?

@Bulk Reef Supply to see what they have to say, I agree the investigates is the best of BRS

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, apologies for the late reply!

The last few weeks have been unusually busy with all of this behind the scenes work going on, but the good news is that the BRStv Investigates series is not going anywhere. With Ryan back from vacation, he and Randy will be starting to film again in the coming days. Actually, I believe they were working on the SKY investigates episode late last week.

What sorts of things would you all like to see us test out?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey everyone, apologies for the late reply!

The last few weeks have been unusually busy with all of this behind the scenes work going on, but the good news is that the BRStv Investigates series is not going anywhere. With Ryan back from vacation, he and Randy will be starting to film again in the coming days. Actually, I believe they were working on the SKY investigates episode late last week.

What sorts of things would you all like to see us test out?

Can you test coral growth rate on different types of materials (i.e. rock, PETG filament, tiles, plugs using glue, plugs using putty, etc.).

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply I would like to see growth results for the same coral frags at different PAR. I think this is something that can be narrowed in on as many reefers can agree on a range, but vary greatly for SPS for example.

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Hydrored
@Bulk Reef Supply I would like to see growth results for the same coral frags at different PAR. I think this is something that can be narrowed in on as many reefers can agree on a range, but vary greatly for SPS for example.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back