Whatever happened to BRS Investigates?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, apologies for the late reply!

The last few weeks have been unusually busy with all of this behind the scenes work going on, but the good news is that the BRStv Investigates series is not going anywhere. With Ryan back from vacation, he and Randy will be starting to film again in the coming days. Actually, I believe they were working on the SKY investigates episode late last week.

What sorts of things would you all like to see us test out?
I just had the bestest of ideas!!! as a generalization, people preach stability and consistency of parameters. What this does is conditions the corals to be 'too comfortable'. Has anyone done an experiment to see if corals that are / are not exposed to a varying level of conditions are actually more prepared to handle 'larger' swings in parameters?

As a simple example:

One tank maintains a perfectly consistent alk, calc, salinity, ect while another one allows for parameter swings in a 10% band. Now what happens when we hit the tank with a 20% parameter swing. 30%?

Obviously, this is a long-term experiment as you have to condition the corals to actually be able to handle the swings as they wont do it over night..but i would love to see people explore the stable parameter paradigm.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the bestest of ideas!!! as a generalization, people preach stability and consistency of parameters. What this does is conditions the corals to be 'too comfortable'. Has anyone done an experiment to see if corals that are / are not exposed to a varying level of conditions are actually more prepared to handle 'larger' swings in parameters?

As a simple example:

One tank maintains a perfectly consistent alk, calc, salinity, ect while another one allows for parameter swings in a 10% band. Now what happens when we hit the tank with a 20% parameter swing. 30%?

Obviously, this is a long-term experiment as you have to condition the corals to actually be able to handle the swings as they wont do it over night..but i would love to see people explore the stable parameter paradigm.
That's funny you mention this. A few of us around here have debated this subject for a while now! It would definitely be interesting to put this into action to see if there is any truth to that hypothesis.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you mention this. A few of us around here have debated this subject for a while now! It would definitely be interesting to put this into action to see if there is any truth to that hypothesis.
Best idea for brs investigates = BRS points credited to my account? Daddy needs a kalk stirrer. :p

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back