• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

What's a cool idea for a "species" only tank

lion king

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 210g community tank that I have thoroughly bored with, so I have thought of this myself. Here's some of my thoughts;

A tessa and a titan; tessalata eel and a titan trigger, much to folklore titans don't get that large in captivity even after 10=15 years and grow very slowly.
3 of the small fangtooth eels; a fimbriated, a jeweled, and a goldentail
A pair of dragon eels, male/female
A host of angels, a tang gang, a group of groupers, or a tribe of triggers
Lions and scorps; I threw this in because it's the tanks I keep now, but a 220g is a bold adventure for this type of tank. Because of the feeding challenges you should have some good experience with these fish.

Paulie069

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I like the idea of seahorses, but wouldn't they require a hefty chiller ? Don't seahorses need colder water ?
I keep my tank at 72.5-73 tops for my ponies and my coral does just fine , it does grow a little bit slower but colors are great and corals do grow and reproduce

84BA4357-4864-47F7-A033-DCDB5F2E05B6.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Either I must be blind as a bat, or that's in Invisible Flea Circus, because I blew up the picture bigger and I still don't see a single Sea Horse. (No disrespect meant whatsoever!) :p
They’re on the sand bed, next to the orange monti looking coral.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If its a fowlr then I'd get a fish that will become a real pet fish, like a stars and stripes puffer. Smaller fish don't have the personality that some of these larger fish can have.

I'm personally more of a small fish fan so would probably pack it with halichoeres and other wrasse.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
I second an Octopus.
I’ve wanted to set up a tank for one for years now. Still on my to do list.
I've kept octopus successfully in 20g tanks though, so this seems like there might be a better sue for such a large tank.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
A couple of ideas:

- Some lookdowns - they looks cool in groups
- Several varieties of leopard wrasses - with a tank that large you could probably add several pod hotels and dose photo into the tank

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • NO

Votes: 121 49.6%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 112 45.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.