What's a cool idea for a "species" only tank

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why "species" tank though?

Does that mean just one species, or catering to a certain species with specific needs?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re Going species only, I’d do a giant group of tangs, triggers, puffers, or anthias. I feel like a large group plus a couple random extras will be more entertaining though :)

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that size, a school of 3- 5 lookdowns would be really awesome.

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210g community tank that I have thoroughly bored with, so I have thought of this myself. Here's some of my thoughts;

A tessa and a titan; tessalata eel and a titan trigger, much to folklore titans don't get that large in captivity even after 10=15 years and grow very slowly.
3 of the small fangtooth eels; a fimbriated, a jeweled, and a goldentail
A pair of dragon eels, male/female
A host of angels, a tang gang, a group of groupers, or a tribe of triggers
Lions and scorps; I threw this in because it's the tanks I keep now, but a 220g is a bold adventure for this type of tank. Because of the feeding challenges you should have some good experience with these fish.
tang gang, a group of groupers and a tribe of triggers made me laugh so hard!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some markup :eek: in the EU i see them listed for 3k, but still expensive

But unless things have changed, it doesn't matter how much money you have as they aren't traded to the general public, but rather through zoo's and aquaria.
Lots of fish are listed on availability lists but they still can't be purchased for most of us.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But unless things have changed, it doesn't matter how much money you have as they aren't traded to the general public, but rather through zoo's and aquaria.
Lots of fish are listed on availability lists but they still can't be purchased for most of us.

Nah i'm talking about an actual (seahorse focused) online shop listing them for the general public

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah i'm talking about an actual (seahorse focused) online shop listing them for the general public

I've never seen them come up for private ownership but seen them listed as available by lots of places, which weren't actually able to purchase them. So I'm a little dubious that they could get one, but I might be wrong and things have moved on from where they were.

It's the same with sharks, seen many shops list them but when someone wants it the wholesaler won't deal with the company because they aren't for the general public. It would be nice to see that seadragons have got to the point that they are able to be offered.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g fowlr that I want to setup in my living room. The tank is in my wall. I don't want to manage more than 1 SPS tank, 1 is plenty lol.

But I'd love a cool idea.....my thoughts so are are 20+ sea horsses?

any creative ideas?
Some things I would want to try if I had a spare tank for it would be:

- A large tank with wall to wall BTA clones populated by a rather large number of melanopus clownfish.

- Another tank I would want to fill with a decent size swarm of Monodactylus argenteus. That is an awesome and unfortunately often overlooked schooling saltwater fish because it gets big and primarily it's juveniles are sold, regrettably mostly to the wrong clientele: freshwater keepers who don't know that this is actually a full saltwater fish where only the juveniles are able to spend some time in fresh and brackish waters until they grow up and require higher salinities.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back