What's a good source of water to use to top-off your tank?

Gerald Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.... What should you use? I have been using room temp boiled water to top off my pico tank (2.5 gal). I loose about 1L of water every 2 days. I was thinking of using Alkaline water or Distilled water. which should I use? Why and what's the difference between the two? Thanks!
3461a480c576f5de6f112bd12d89981c.jpg

5fac8d68a36a8c78e58c9cff06391bae.jpg

It use to look like this before my light upgrade about a week ago.
2d22f03359ffb63a29e7358d5e494946.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi water is what you want.
It has all extra nutints and minerals and metals removed.

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You probably don't want to invest in an rodi system for such a small tank, but you can usually buy rodi water at a local fish store.
I'm 4 weeks into hobby. Best investment I've made was a rodi system and an ato. If you can afford the rodi I recommend. Has made life so much easier and no more trips to lfs. Can't say enough how much easier it is to make your own water.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using tapwater you need to be treating it with prime before putting it in the tank as well. Also you should be able to find a report from your city on what is in the local water to determine how big of an issue it is.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Rodi water is the way to go you can usually buy it at a local fish store for about a $1 a gallon buy 5 gallons at a time

I don’t know what allaline water is but distilled is they boil water and the evaporation is called distilled water i don’t know if it really removes everything from the water like a rodi system you want your water to have 0 nutrients in it

OP
OP
Gerald Garcia

Gerald Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using tapwater you need to be treating it with prime before putting it in the tank as well. Also you should be able to find a report from your city on what is in the local water to determine how big of an issue it is.
Thanks. But I'd alkaline or distilled water ok?

OP
OP
Gerald Garcia

Gerald Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what DTS is in this context but TDS are total dissolved solids which basically measure how much other stuff is in the water. Ideally you don't want anything else in your water.
Got it... I actually typed it wrong. Lol.
I'll try to get my waters tested and if it's not good, I'll pick up an rodi kit.
Thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Distilled water works, but in the long run, you will actually save money by investing in an RODI system. For now though, I wouldn't use anything that isn't either distilled water or RODI (RODI being the preferred route).

sponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you are planning on staying in this hobby,invest in a RO/DI system.You could get yourself a unit that gives you great drinking water for yourself,and then the DI part for your tank.Who knows maybe you would want a larger tank someday?

Consistent water is a plus in this hobby.Having the ability to access water when you need it ,also a plus . Swings can happen faster in smaller tanks

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. But I'd alkaline or distilled water ok?
Distilled water is fine, it would be better than boiling tap. There are things like copper and other metals in your tap that you can't test for. These small amounts will build up in the tank as they are left behind when you replace the evaporated water.

Think if it as, evaporation is only losing the pure water, H20, anything else in the tap water like metals, phosphates, etc stays behind in the tank so will get to problematic levels over time.

Distilled or RODI is just putting back what you lost through evaporation, pure H20.

I think in alkaline water that they add sodium bicarb and stuff back to the pure water so it tastes better for drinking, I would avoid that for the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back