What's a good UV Sterilizer for between $100 - $200?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I have a Reefer 170, 34g DT and 9g sump, so about 42 gallons total.

As much as I'd love to buy a Pentair 25W UV unit I just don't have $380 + a pump sitting around.

I was going to get a Coralife 3x but then I read a slew of reviews that said they rusted within a year. So please help me out!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using Odysea for over a decade, still working great. Easy to replace bulbs which are the same as many other brands, cheap and widely available.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS! Really appreciate it. I love a good direct answer. I was expecting, what are you water parameters!

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage series Aqua UV! I have one I am looking to part with :) 15 watt.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the jebao pond UV. Seems everyone was getting black slime out of them after a while of use(the concensus was the UV degrades the plastic), but I haven't had any of that yet.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
've been using the jebao pond UV. Seems everyone was getting black slime out of them after a while
Yea I've read the same thing about Jebao. Same problem with the Odyssea, after about a year people are seeing it leach black slime, I guess the UV is degrading the plastic. As I said previously, the Coralife Turbo Twist seems to throw off rust after a bit also.

Why can't they just make a reasonably priced UV unit that works properly!!!

Anyway, please keep the suggestions coming, I have to bust a move shortly!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've read the same thing about Jebao. Same problem with the Odyssea, after about a year people are seeing it leach black slime, I guess the UV is degrading the plastic. As I said previously, the Coralife Turbo Twist seems to throw off rust after a bit also.

Why can't they just make a reasonably priced UV unit that works properly!!!

Anyway, please keep the suggestions coming, I have to bust a move shortly!
Can’t speak for Jebao uv but know at least half dozen tanks running odysea and haven’t seen any “black slime”. Must be a rumor started by ppl who paid 3, 400 for their uv ...

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely leaning toward a Odyssea Pro 18W, $49 on Amazon!

Do most of you folks plumb them into your return line or buy a separate pump and plumb them independently?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely leaning toward a Odyssea Pro 18W, $49 on Amazon!

Do most of you folks plumb them into your return line or buy a separate pump and plumb them independently?
Like it on a separate pump so it can be adjusted without interfering with anything else.
Have the output from uv right next to return pump input

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 9W has worked well. They will not last forever but I have had no issues. Using on a RSR170.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the TMC 110 and like the vecton range a lot. Their 25 watt unit is $200.
Thanks, that's very interesting, I hadn't heard of them before but I checked out the website and I really like the 8W and 25 units. Seems like a well run, established company that knows what they're doing too.

What's the UV sleeve look like, is it reflective, does it look like PVC?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual UV sleeve will be quartz glass. The rest of the unit is plastic. Not an expert on that so cannot say what kind of plastic. They do note that the materials used are UV resistant ...... which seems like it would be important LOL.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been using the AA Green killing machine 24w and it’s been really great for spot treating a bac bloom I had. Cleared it up in about 3 days. Not sure if I continue to run it now or not. It fits in the back overflow on my IM INT 75G perfectly so it doesn’t use up space in my sump either which was nice.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual UV sleeve will be quartz glass. The rest of the unit is plastic. Not an expert on that so cannot say what kind of plastic. They do note that the materials used are UV resistant ...... which seems like it would be important LOL.
From my understanding UV resist and dose not equal UV proof. UV degrades all plastics over time it’s just a matter of if it will happen within 1 year or 10.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually there’s a reflective sleeve on the outermost, up against the pvc. As well as the quartz sleeve around the bulb

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding UV resist and dose not equal UV proof. UV degrades all plastics over time it’s just a matter of if it will happen within 1 year or 10.
I'm sure that's true; however, there a big difference between one year and ten don't you think LOL. Odds are the electronics will crap out long before that.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleared it up in about 3 days. Not sure if I continue to run it now or not.
My thoughts on weather or not to run it 24/7 or just when I see a problem is that once something takes hold, it's difficult to fully eradicate. So I plan on running mine 24/7.

They do note that the materials used are UV resistant ...... which seems like it would be important LOL.
You know you'd think UV resistance would be essential, but from what I've read apparently it's not...LOL

I view the Green Killing Machine as a good spot treatment when you have an issue, like you said. I've never really considered it a 24/7 deal although I certainly could be wrong.

Does anyone run the Green Killing Machine 24/7???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back