What's for supper? Traditional Newfie food.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still eating... it's a good thing my month long vacation is over in a few days. It's funny how I went from eating healthy food when I'm hungry, to eating fatty foods even when I'm full.

IMG_0325.JPG

This girl knows how to "clean" her fish.

IMG_0326.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self: When visiting Newfoundland, bring your own food.....not much there is palatable! :eek: :D

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Brewis?

Generally speaking for me, you don't want to know.

Another Newfie thing:

noun, Newfoundland.
1. hard bread soaked in water and then boiled.
2. such bread, with pieces of fish added, served as a meal.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually not as bad as it sounds. It's basically Hard Tack which has been soaked in water over night and boiled. It was meant to be eaten on long sea voyages and being my people are fisherman and sealers, that was most important to have a food that could last indefinitely if kept dry. A lot of time it was mixed with dried salted cod, that again was soaked over night. The salted pork fat is cut super small and fried to little "scrunchins" that is as delicious as bacon. You mix that with molasses and it provides a meal in conditions where nothing could be had fresh. You didn't always have the opportunity to soak it, so you would just eat it hard like a biscuit.

It's made by a Newfoundland company called "Purity". The "Sweet Bread" is the same thing made with sugar and shortening and is much easier to eat as is.

If you would eat biscuits, bacon and molasses, you'd eat this. As a kid I didn't want the scrunchins, so I would melt butter on it.

IMG_0519.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring y'all to be "Screeched in" to become an honary Newfie. Pucker up and get ready to kiss some fish!

What is this mess??? This Cali girl is having trouble comprehending what is going on...

IMG_0521.JPG

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be a hot mess come Thursday when I have to leave. I'm going to have to down a flask of Screech to get through it. It's so hard leaving family behind. My heart is going to break and you never get used to it.

Last edited:

tacoshell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you eat that fish tongue I want you to imagine this little guy IMG_1484557829.382820.jpg IMG_1484557842.150458.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's just gross, Dude. Thats like someone putting up a picture of a porkchop and me chasing 'em with a 1000 tapeworm pictures. Maybe your Mama needed to learn how to cook if parasites spring to mind when you eat.

Last edited:

tacoshell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to get upset like a immature little child and insult me just take it for what it is, not many people know about this parasite it's just knowledge, as many know about tapeworms of course. lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back