Whats going on with my corals?

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning towards conclusion that you have Dino.
Some here advocates water changes, but if you do some research, that is not a recommended thing to do as it may dilute nutrients and Dinos will spread more.
Vacuum Dinos from sand and rocks to filter sock and reuse water.
There is plenty of guides how to fight Dinos, ( blackouts, UV lights, Hydrogen peroxide, skimming, etc.).
Forget about correcting chemical parameters or changing to different salt now. Your chemistry is fine.
After trial and Error myself, I found my tank to have the same issues yours did at my 5 month mark, its the ugly phase and likely you will find more pest algae. I recommend bright wells Microbacteria 7, regular dosing can really help not to get rid of your algae but it instead introduces new bacteria that can compete and keep it from getting out of control. This product effectively removed my green, red cyn algae and my Dinos.

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trial and Error myself, I found my tank to have the same issues yours did at my 5 month mark, its the ugly phase and likely you will find more pest algae. I recommend bright wells Microbacteria 7, regular dosing can really help not to get rid of your algae but it instead introduces new bacteria that can compete and keep it from getting out of control. This product effectively removed my green, red cyn algae and my Dinos.
I recommend a UV filter if your water is cloudy and if algae growth gets out of control

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But isnt a UV filter have a downside of removing corals nutrients or smth?
AquaBiomics found that CONTINUOUS use of UV filter is decreasing population of some beneficial bacteria in water column. You have Dinos though and you need to exterminate them. BTW most advocate to use UV filter at night as some Dinos are migrating to water column when light is off.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vacuum the tank with a ten percent water change, then add a UV filter. Cut the lights out for three days. I think these algae problems are coming from silicates. All I use is distilled water from the Walmart.

This is what I used for a bacteria bloom when I started the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im confused u said not to add neophos what im supposed to do when phosphate drops to 0?
Address the dino first then you can raise your levels

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano. Cyano can also be green and brown. if you got dino's then that's also a easy fix. my suggestion is to suck it all out when you do a water change. I've used chemi clean for cyano and it worked great. dino's id go ahead and get some Mexican turbo snails and dump them in there and you wont have much of a dino problem after that cause they love that stuff. if you gonna clean everything your probably gonna have to do a couple water changes to get all that outa there. after water change make sure your parameters are back up. I've done water changes and it would strip my parameters.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano. Cyano can also be green and brown. if you got dino's then that's also a easy fix. my suggestion is to suck it all out when you do a water change. I've used chemi clean for cyano and it worked great. dino's id go ahead and get some Mexican turbo snails and dump them in there and you wont have much of a dino problem after that cause they love that stuff. if you gonna clean everything your probably gonna have to do a couple water changes to get all that outa there. after water change make sure your parameters are back up. I've done water changes and it would strip my parameters.
So chemiclean will work on the cyano? Will make them vanish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the same reason humans shouldn't take them unless absolutely needed. The more you expose your system to antibiotics, the more likely you will promote antibiotic resistant bacterial strains in your tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any pics of tank under white lighting in its current state?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back