What's going on with Planet Aquariums?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the Planet Aquariums/DFW Aquarium website and for the Crystaline, they only have 72" and 96" listed.
There is a new product line called "Tideline Crystal", and part of the description reads, "Aquariums & Sumps are made overseas to our specifications."
Does anyone know if Planet is phasing out their domestic aquarium manufacturing??? Living in Texas, the fact that they are (were?) made locally was a big plus for me!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the Planet Aquariums/DFW Aquarium website and for the Crystaline, they only have 72" and 96" listed.
There is a new product line called "Tideline Crystal", and part of the description reads, "Aquariums & Sumps are made overseas to our specifications."
Does anyone know if Planet is phasing out their domestic aquarium manufacturing??? Living in Texas, the fact that they are (were?) made locally was a big plus for me!
Yes, it looks like that particular line (Tideline Crystal) is manufactured overseas. The stand is still made in the USA!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it looks like that particular line (Tideline Crystal) is manufactured overseas. The stand is still made in the USA!
My concern is that the Crystaline series (their flagship rimless tanks) are no longer even offered in most sizes.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that the Crystaline series (their flagship rimless tanks) are no longer even offered in most sizes.
I hear you. Best thing you could do is put a call into them and find out what's going on with their other lines and if those are being outsourced as well.

I've kind of consigned myself to the fact that in one form or another, everything is manufactured in China...

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. Best thing you could do is put a call into them and find out what's going on with their other lines and if those are being outsourced as well.

I've kind of consigned myself to the fact that in one form or another, everything is manufactured in China...
Yeah, you can't actually call them (it get anyone to return messages)... They insist that you communicate with them through an LFS.

I posted in the hope that someone here had the inside scoop ;)

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defiantly go through Joe Glass Cage or another manufacturer. I am going through my Planet 175 having a leak. I set if up 8/3/21. Leaked 3/29/22. They have no customer support at all. The only way to contact them is thru their website(not email). My LFS hasn't been getting steady response for them. Its mounted on a stand built by a cabinet maker and everything is level and true. I am trying to figure out a backup now. I called Joe Glass Cages and they are super helpful and responsive. I read the google reviews about Planet Aquariums and should have believed the reviews . I may of just been unlucky but I think when something like this happens the manufacture should at least attempt to help or just act it anyways. Originally I was looking at SCA (overseas). The things I've read are good because they responsive if you have an issue. This is just my personal experience and opinion.

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defiantly go through Joe Glass Cage or another manufacturer. I am going through my Planet 175 having a leak. I set if up 8/3/21. Leaked 3/29/22. They have no customer support at all. The only way to contact them is thru their website(not email). My LFS hasn't been getting steady response for them. Its mounted on a stand built by a cabinet maker and everything is level and true. I am trying to figure out a backup now. I called Joe Glass Cages and they are super helpful and responsive. I read the google reviews about Planet Aquariums and should have believed the reviews . I may of just been unlucky but I think when something like this happens the manufacture should at least attempt to help or just act it anyways. Originally I was looking at SCA (overseas). The things I've read are good because they responsive if you have an issue. This is just my personal experience and opinion.
My LFS just let me know that I can send them the tank and they will repair it or I can purchase a new one at a reduced rate. I am happy they got back to us. I am going to buy a new one. Still ends up cheaper and less of a headache than sending the old one.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the same thing. It looks like they shifted all the other sizes to the Tideline series. The pictures look identical fwiw, but not made in USA anymore.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a response from Planet on FB messenger.

My question:
Have you stopped manufacturing the Crystaline series? Is the only rimless option now the Tideline Crystal which is produced overseas?

Planet's answer:
Yes. We have stopped building the smaller Crystaline aquariums in-house due to increasing costs. They can still be custom-made but will be more expensive and take longer. Unfortunately, the economics just didn't make sense for us to continue offering this line in the smaller sizes. The new Tideline Crystal aquariums are very well built and we are able to offer it at about a 30% lower price.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA is in California, not overseas...

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA is in California, not overseas...
This. Their office is about a half hour away from me. The standard tanks are chinesium stuff, they offload them from a 40ft container.

If your order a custom dimension or a non standard configuration tank from them, they are made locally, with a LOT of lead time. Back when I was 120g shopping, the leadtime was 3 months, pre covid.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back